Betta Fish Forum banner

Bettas and Aquabid..

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  1fish2fish 
#1 ·
I'm not stranger to Aquabid. I used to buy a lot of Malawi's there, but after perusing the betta section I was simply astonished at the quality of bettas offered from breeders in Thailand. And not just one or two nice bettas. Hundreds of terrific looking bettas. Dozens of breeding pairs. Half moons, crown tails, giants, dragons, big ears..Beautiful solid black guys. Just amazing.

Then I looked at the price tags. $20? Not bad. Oh, $5 more to ship from Thailand. Oh..then it goes to a transhipper...Oh, then $20+ from the transhipper...

There seems to be, in my limited exposure, a lack of Thai quality Bettas being bred and sold in the States? Or am I just missing the website at the end of the golden brick road for ultimate bettas? Now, don't get me wrong -- the new bettas I've seen at Petsmart are heads and tails better than what I used to see. But I'm just surprised that there is not a sales forum on this site with people selling Thai comparable bettas at somewhat reasonable prices.

#2 ·
It's pretty slow in the breeding season right now. People are still raising their spawns. Towards the end of the summer you should see a lot more US bred fish available.

Sadly a lot of US breeders breeding quality fish don't post their fish on AB. They cull a lot and sell the rest at show auctions which is great for those who can make it to shows but not so great for people who don't have access to local shows.

#7 ·
I think buying from Thailand is cheaper than buying from Canada for me, and I'm Canadian! There are a few great breeders in my country, so I went looking and found Bettas just as nice, for $15 plus minimal shipping. Or I can take a drive and pick them up. I spent $80 to get a Betta on Aquabid from 2 provinces over, he died a week after getting here. The shipping was hard on him :(

#8 ·
The IBC is responsible for the betta standards and several chapters put on shows all over the world. At the end of each show many fish are auctioned off for cheap. Most starting bids are $3 and usually don't get higher than $10 so potentially you cab get a show quality fish fir less than the low quality ones at pet stores.

#10 ·
I just ordered a fishy from aquabid and its being shipped from Thailand. But I would love to get some quaility fish in the US. The 2 fish I have already are from Petsmart and they seem to only offer the longtail and now the crowntail (maybe some PK, I'm not sure). I've been wanting a nice HM and didn't know where to get them around my area.

#11 ·
The shows are usually listed on the IBC website in the top right corner. www.ibcbettas.org is the site.

However I'm not sure if the fall show schedule is up to date or not. Doesn't seem like there are going to be many shows this fall.

I DID just find out that next year's convention is going to be in Jacksonville, FL and I'm so excited because that's only an hour away from me :-D Convention is usually the biggest show of the season... it's every June and the location changes each year. This past convention was in San Francisco.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.