Betta Fish Forum banner

Need some Advice

969 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  turtle10 
#1 ·
Alright, so I have looked through the forums and found a good deal of information but I could use some advice on the specific issues I've got going right now.

My beta is definitely bloated and I am going to try fasting him for 2 days or so but I have been battling with some crazy green algae and was wondering if I should quarantine him and start the tank fresh?

Just in case:
Housing
size: 10g tank
temp: 78 Fahrenheit
filter: a rather old aqua clear power filter
tank mates: he lives alone but I was considering some small snails for the algae

Food
food: I alternate between flakes and pellets (the pellets i soak before feeding) occasionally some dried blood worms (which i only recently discovered i should soak)
how often: twice daily, a couple flakes in the morning and 3-4 pellets in the evening (which I'm thinking might be too much)

Maintenance
water change: I have been doing 30% once weekly
additives: nutrafin aqua plus

Water Parameters
I do not have a liquid test kit :(

Symptoms and Treatment
appearance: enlarged stomach
behavior: nothing noticeable, still active
when: I only seriously took notice 3 days ago
tonight is the beginning of his fast
history: none (though he did jump out of his tank once but he recovered fully as far as I can tell)
age: he could be a year or two, not sure as he was a center piece on a wedding party table)

I can provide photos if they would help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would keep fasting him betta do fine on one or two soaked pellets a day. You might want to turn off the lights longer to help with the algae. That might be the cause because your water changes are fine and cutting back on the feeding will help with the algae also.

#4 · (Edited)
Green algae on the walls and decoration are normal and expected-any container of water that has light and nutrients usually will have algae-it can also be a sign of healthy water, however, since this is a closed system we have to keep it under control-by manual removal with an algae scrubber/scraper and vacuuming it out with our regular weekly water changes...just part of the up-keep on our tanks.....

If the fish has a full tummy and is still active, eating and pooping normally...then it is just a full tummy if it resolves on its own by next feeding time-if not you may need to cut back on the amount...if the fish has a change in behavior-becomes lethargic, hiding, stops eating, stops pooping with the large tummy...then you may have a problem with bloat and/or constipation.....fasting and water changes are a good first treatment....

Small frequent meals of varied foods are best along with correct temp quality water....

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips fishlady. I fasted him but his stomach didn't change in size, he isn't lethargic but he does seemed to have mellowed out compared to his usual self. I'm not sure if he is pooping normally, I was thinking of floating a clear container in the tank and putting him in it to monitor his regularity. He also seems to be taking breaths at the surface more frequently now sometimes within seconds of each other.

#8 ·
You may want to do an Epsom salt treatment and see if that will help him-the Epsom salt will work as a laxative.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)
Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice a day during treatment

Maintain water temp in the 76-78F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf or blackwater extract or decaf green tea-let one of these steep in the treatment water for at least 1 hour before use-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the dark the water the more the Betta will like it...shake well before use

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp between the QT water-so not to cause temp shock problems.

Covering the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap will also help by keeping the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.

#10 ·
Tannins-Oak leaf and Indian almond leaf-have natural antibacterial/fungal properties, tan the water to help the fish feel a little more secure/safer, can help with making the scales and fins stronger, lower the pH a tiny bit, help hold a bubble nest, can help produce microorganisms....I am sure other things that they do as well

Decaf green tea-I am not sure if they also have the antibacterial/fungal properties-it would depend on how they are processed-but it will tan the water nicely and sometimes that is what a sick/stressed fish needs

Boiling any of the tannins will kill the antibacterial/fungal properties-so if you are using them for treatments of injuries/illness-I wouldn't over heat them

Both the oak leaf and IAL-can change the pH to a degree but it is usually not enough to cause any problems with pH swings/shifts-the decay process also has a normal role-however, this is with any decay/decomp process within the tank with all organic matter and why large water changes on a neglected tank can sometimes kill the fish....

#12 ·
I have never seen Indian almond leaf in fish shops...not to say they are not sold in them.....just not in my area....you can get them on-line.....however, I like to use Oak leaves from my oak trees in my yard.....cheaper and at hand...lol....Free is my favorite price after all...laffs.....

If you have oak trees and they are free of any pesticide, poison...etc.....gather naturally dried and fallen from the tree-rinse before use-crush and add to pre-mixed treatment water to steep....I use 10-12 crushed per gallon of treatment water or use whole/uncrushed in the tank-I use 10-20 in my 10g spawning tanks-removed and replaced weekly

#14 ·
When he started sitting lopsided and acting strange last night my gut said take him out of the quarantine tank because he was swimming fine just minutes before. He was dead when I woke up. :(
he was covered in a light gauzy material in places, any idea what that could be?

#18 ·
Tapping the glass can really scare fish, you should never do that. I am not sure where you got this info or maybe it was a typo, but it was definitely not breeding. Also, please read through the thread before offering advice. Unfortunately the betta had already passed by the time you posted:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.