Betta Fish Forum banner

My Betta

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Livelifelaughlove 
#1 ·
Hey. I have a Betta and a pleco together in one tank. Yesterday I put one algae wafer in for the pleco. He didn't eat it. It dissolved and made the water cloudy. So I cleaned half of the tank today, and it didn't all come out. So the rest is swimming around now... It doesn't look cloudy anymore but the rest of the wafer is bothering me. Will it sink to the ground?

#2 · (Edited)
If he's not eating maybe he's finding enough food without it...
Should break the algae wafer in smaller pieces, give them that way as to prevent over feeding...
It will slowly settle into the gravel...

You didn't mention the size tank your using.,, Pleco need big tanks as the will grow hugh...
I saw one the other day at the lfs, it was in the biggest show tank there and it filled the sucker..

#3 ·
Yea, I'm going to move the Pleco along with the Betta to a bigger tank. Right now they are both 2-3 inches. So they are fine...In 2 months I'm going to get a bigger tank. So the rest of the algae will settle into the gravel?

#4 ·
If its a small tank they may keep stirring it up,,, a bigger tank it should slowly settle down into the gravel.
again you didn't mention your tank size..

Just cut way back on feeding as over feeding aids in ammonia build up which isn't good for any fish....
What they don't eat up in a min or two you can always remove with a turkey baster,,, I find that works really well on algae dics left uneaten..

#7 ·
This topic was already brought up in a previous board Chicklet, in which was already stated both the betta and pleco are in a 1 gallon together. That much fish in that small of a tank is overloading the bioload to a ridiculous amount, and is going to end up killing off both of you fish from the toxic levels of ammonia in the water

Bettafreak, the pleco is simply too large for a tank this small on it's own, let alone with another fish in it. You really, really need to take the pleco back to the store you got him from. Stores are rather understanding on the policy of returned fish, it is not difficult to bag the pleco back up and take him to the store. Even a petstore with a store credit policy only on a returned fish will still give you the ability to use that credit towards buying something else more useful for the betta, like a larger tank, or a heater, or some frozen bloodworms.

#9 ·
The pleco is already to big for the tank, now! if you wait two months... If you wait to months both fish are going to be DEAD and have no need for a bigger tank! unless that is what you are looking for! Get the Pleco OUT OF THE TANK! NOW! or if you refuse to do what you should, try to go get another 1 gallon tank and put the pleco in it till its to big and dies. OR go spend $12 at petco and buy a 10 gallon, right now! *im not going to get started on filter/heater... I doubt it would make a dent*

#10 ·
His parents won't let him have a bigger tank until may, (he says)
He may have no other options,,
I think he understands the situation and hopefully is looking into it the best he can.

if not their really is nothing more we can do, Except hope for the best.....

#14 ·
I don't think I can get a 10g tank for 12$
10 gallon tanks around here cost about 11 bucks without any of the extras (hoods, lights, etc). Add taxes in and that's 12-13 bucks, so ah, yeah, actually you can afford one.

#15 ·
Geeze wish I could get a 10 gallon that cheap, cheapest around here is 40 bucks that I can find...
Been thinkin bout getting two more next month.. you guys are lucky...

If you love your fish Bettafreak find a way, if you can't then I suggest you give it back for free, Thats what I did when I first bought a pleco and a Dragon goby, then when I found out just how big they got well I knew I had to do something cause I Decided I wasn't going over a 20 gallon and they both need biggg tanks.... Take a min ute and Think about the fish plz...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.