Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta with large gray spot

778 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Seabreezey 
#1 ·
I adopted a veiltail from Petco 2 days ago. They said the guy brought him in because he got too big and started having issues with the other fish in the tank. He had his own tank at Petco, and from what I could see he looked like a normal pet store betta. I got him home and set up his tank which is brand new with all new decorations and gravel. He was doing fine until I started switching him from the bag the store put him in into his new tank. His body lost almost all color, but after a little time to adjust to his new tank he got all his color back. However, he does seem to bump into the tank wall a lot, which worried me. I went to check on him the first night and found his body wrapped around the filter. I unplugged the filter and he swam away very slowly. At that point I shined a flashlight on his body and discovered that he's missing little chunks of his body (I'm guessing that has to do with his old tank mates). I've barely had him 2 days, and all he seems to do is sit on the bottom of the tank. Today I went to check on him and discovered a large greyish-whitish spot on both sides of his body where his body meets his tail. It wasn't there this morning when I checked on him. I put a pinch of aquarium salt in his tank, but I don't know what else to do for him.
Housing
What size is your tank? 2 and 1/2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? N/A
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? haven't yet, but was planning on once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? N/A
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? just Aqueon water conditioner to dechlorinate the water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:N/A
Nitrite:N/A
Nitrate:N/A
pH:N/A
Hardness:N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? suddenly grown a large grayish-white spot
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? haven't had him long enough to know
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm guessing he's fairly old since he's huge, and did have at least one previous owner.

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you just dump him in the water or did you accumulate him first? I think I may have misread something somewhere...

Would you be able to get a picture? :3

#3 ·
I gave him 10 minutes to acclimate to the new tank before I put him in. I like to wait longer, but not being able to swim in the tank seemed to really stress him out. He looks even worse now. His top fin is now shredded and it looks like his back half is being scraped off. All he does is sit in the same spot and barely moves.
Unfortunately I can't really get a picture of him. He's hiding in the back corner of his tank, and his tank is in a corner. I'm afraid that if I try to get a picture I'd only stress him out more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.