Betta Fish Forum banner

To get the best results..?

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Kira and Cleoh 
#1 ·
So I LOVE colorful bettas! My female though isnt that colorful (I still love her to bits though!!) She has a Black body and red fins, What color of male could give me the most variety colors of fry? and also any tips on raising healthy fry?

#2 ·
I do not know the genetic part. Live food as fries helps the colors as adults if given as adults helps thefe color too.I say orange, blue, or green.

#3 ·
Okay, :) Im just going to lookup genitics, I know that with horses, ( I also own my own horse :) ) If for say you have a Creme gene, and a black gene, its common to get something around Bay>Buckskin(sorry if this crazy horse person don make sense :p ) So maybe Im thinking If I had a red Gene and a blue gene, Maybe you'd get like a purple, or a combination? Then again horses are different than Fish XD

#4 ·
No. Blue and red are dominant colours so you would get red/blue wash in your fry which is unacceptable for showing.

#5 ·
Your female probably has a lot of hidden genes, meaning she probably will throw lots of other colors besides red but red is a very dominant color and will be shown in the fry the most. Is she the one in your avi pic? In that one she looks stressed and when stressed they dont show much color. Were you looking on producing fry for a sorority? Good clean water and food variety help the most in producing healthy fry.

#6 ·
No That isnt the girl I'll be breeding, I will post a picture of her, So would red>Green be nice? Or a red > yellow?

#7 ·
Depends what colors do you want? You will get multi's mostly mixing her with anyone but red and yellow would make a lot of reds maybe some light colors and maybe blues, red and green would be a lot of red and blue multi's .

#9 ·
I find with yellow since it is just a "mutated" gene of red you would end up with a good number of red - green is usually a blue/yellow, which again leads you back to green :lol: I find if you use a multi, you could be able to aim to a larger variety of color though red and blue will remain the most dominant especially if the background is unknown. If you wanted to breed to show, multi I hear isn't the best choice... But if for another reason, find something that you could play around with (safely and still with the fish's health in mind of course) although words and reading are great educational means, hands on does help a lot.

#10 ·
1. I'm still waiting for her picture (your female)
2. What do you mean by "colorful" - just 2-3 color or multiple color blotches (like koi).

I agree with everyone above.

Try using the color/pattern you want so your fry will carry the desired mutated genes. Working from scratch can take you years of breeding before you get that desired mutation.

#12 ·
Oh right! sorry I got side tracked!
This is her:

:) sorry Its a bit blurry, she isnt the photogenic type :p

Is it okay to breed something like dominant and recessive together?

#13 ·
It's possible to cross breed any gene - but do you want to? What is your goal? Will it support your goal?

Example: pure cherry red x pure irid
Both are dominant colors, at least partially. You will probably end up with irid body with red fins, irid body with red wash on fins, few to no solid irid. As for red results; cherry red with irid (dots) on body and or irid lines on fins. Probably no solid reds.

Your female looks like a classic cherry red (not sure - picture not clear). Try reading
Color Genetics Guide for starters. Read as much as you can find on color genetics. Then determine the direction you want to go.

#14 ·
Okay! Im going to get my male today! I'll read this right now!

Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.