Betta Fish Forum banner

To Snail or Not to Snail?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Kbud 
#1 ·
First off, reassure me. This is a ramshorn snail, right?

I got three of these as hitchhikers on my frogbit. One of them is in my betta's tank, and the other two are in a QT tank. My betta is the only fish in the tank, I change the water regularly and he eats all the food that goes in, so unless unless my frogbit or my java fern goes bad (a possibility with the frogbit) I shouldn't have to worry about a snail population explosion, right? Should I put the other two in the tank? Help me decide.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have 3 ramshorn and 2 pond snails that came as hitchhikers from petsmart. I kept them to help cycle the tank even though they are so small their bio load is probably in the 0.001%. I have weighed all the options and decided to give them a shot. They are fun and relaxing to watch.

I had a few more snails but for some reason they didn't make it. So right now it is survival of the fittest

#4 ·
Hmm...One for, one against. Honestly, the only reason I put the first snail in the tank in the first place was because I was so sure it would end up being a betta snack. My guy will eat anything...except, it turns out, for snails. lol

Can they really help to cycle a tank? I thought they just added to the bioload, ie, incease the frequency for needed water changes.

#5 ·
Yes thats definitely a ramshorn.
But, I'm not sure where you should put them. It all depends in the size of your tank. I have 1 plus a betta in each of my 2.5's, I think there's 5 plus babies in my 10's, and like a hundred babies and a couple adults in my 26. They do multiply like rabbits, but normally lay eggs on the glass so they are easy to crush. If you decide to keep them I would put them in separate tanks if possible, they can breed with themselves, but don't produce as many eggs without a partner.
Also, I have had some in my 2.5's since November, and have only had 1 hatch in that entire time, keep food down and them as seperate as possible and you'll be okay. Overfeed and have like 5+ in the same tank you'll have a population explosion.

With all that said, I love them because they do help with algae and eating leftovers, plus they are cute, but from now on I'll only be getting mystery or nerite snails.

#6 ·
Well, I only have one 10 gallon, so I won't be able to keep them separate. I've got some fuzz algae on one of my java ferns, so I think I'm going to put them in. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, since there's never any extra food in the tank it'll be okay. I can always get an assassin snail if the ramshorns get too happy.....

#7 ·
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much if you don over feed!
Goodluck with them! Assassins cost a lot but are worth it if you end up with a population explosion. I just got some eggs sent to me but haven't figured out if thy hatched or not yet

#8 ·
Ramshorns and I don't get along real well. They multiplied like crazy in my old tank with a dwarf african aquatic frog, and were horrible. I would not recommend you keep them, because they reproduce at will, but if you want to keep them, it will not cost you much. My snails rapidly multiplied and it turned into a Hunger Games tank, and it didn't even have a filter! It was less than a gallon, and algae wafers kept 'em comin'. Therefore, you only really just have to buy a tank, gravel, and wafers and bam! World's instant pet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.