Betta Fish Forum banner

Seriously!? Cursed Tank?

578 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  NeptunesMom 
#1 ·
I have a 2.5 g, and EVERY fish I have put into it has died. The first fish was a fish I brought home to try to rescue that was dying. I expected him to die, and he did. Then I rinsed out the tank in hot water. The fish that died, died of an accident. He had been caught in coral and returned to my store. I didn't think there was anything wrong with him besides his injuries.

Then there was Hidalgo. Who I brought home thinking he was stressed. I put him into a heated 10 g, but once I realized he was sick I moved him into the 2.5 g for treatment. He died within a couple days of being put into the tank. It wasn't a surprise though, granted he seemed healthier in the 10 g than the 2.5 g.

Then I soaked it in bleach water for several hours, let it dry outside, soaked it again in bleach water for several hours, let it dry outside. I rinsed it out with warm water, and left it to dry in the bathroom with the fan on. It's sat empty for a month, then last night I broke down and got Poe. He's been at PetSmart for a long time. I thought he was gone (dead or purchased), I went and got Hudson, saw him there and went back for him last night. I rinsed out the tank with hot water again and scrubbed it with a paper towel.

Last night after acclimation and being put into this new tank I noticed Poe acting weird. My boyfriend and me actually got into a huge fight over it, because he was mad I spent an hour staring at Poe trying to figure out what was wrong. He was resting on the bottom 1/2 on his side and clamped up. He wasn't like that in his cup. He wouldn't really move unless I moved the tank a lot. Then he started swimming around normally, so I thought he was just adjusting. I went to sleep woke up this morning and he was still alive. I came downstairs, got on the computer, have been on here for about two hours, went up to check on him... and he's dead! Seriously? He survives months of crappy care, a columnaris outbreak a month ago, and bad water conditions. He was the only fish on the shelf that wasn't bloated or having trouble swimming. I was so torn taking him home and leaving others, but I felt he'd earned his forever home. And, then this!

Could it be the tank? Could there be something wrong with it? I just can't figure out how three fish have all died within a day or two of being put into the tank. Granted, two were sick, but this last one wasn't showing any signs of illness. Even in death he still looks great.

See less See more
#5 ·
Yep. That's it. The glass tank with the glass lid. I have three of them, and the other two have never had the problems this tank had. Literally. the only fish I have lost have been in this tank. I bought it when I brought home the first one who died. So, it was brand new in March. But, now it is out in my garden and later tonight I will destroy it with a hammer. Stupid cursed tank! :evil:

#10 ·
I have a cursed 10 Gallon that I had a gourami in for a while with some tetras and all was fine until one morning I woke up to dead tetras and then the next day he started acting weird and died. They had no signs of illness, the tank was clean and the water tested fine so I went and got another Gourami and watched him like a hawk all night and he was fine. went to bed woke up to him dead, returned him for a new one and that one died in two hours.

I cleaned it with hot hot water three times and set it in the sun on the porch for a week before putting a betta in it and she's done fine so I just can't have anything but bettas in it apparently lol

#11 ·
Well.. I'm so torn because I left one serious SBD case behind and two seriously bloated bettas behind to get Poe. It was painful, and I cried all the way home. But, I felt like Poe had earned a forever home. I didn't realize forever would be 15 hours, but at least he knew love for a bit. I want so desperately to go back and get them, but now I have no tank to put them in. On top of that, I did just rescue Hudson yesterday too (although there is nothing wrong with him, just he ate his tail). And then I'm fighting serious fluid retention with Eponine. Ugh. What to do, what to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.