Betta Fish Forum banner

How can you tell how old a betta is?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  edBetta 
#1 ·
I've had my betta for about 2 weeks now, he's completely healthy and an avid bubble nester. I was just wondering about how old he is... Is there any way to tell? Here's a picture- I'd love to know what yall think!
Oh and I ended up choosing the name Chuck Bass for him- not just Chuck but Bass also- I have a major love for the TV show Gossip Girl and I've got a girl betta named Blair.. and if anyone knows the show- then you'll understand! :)

See less See more
#13 ·
I've heard that 6-12 months is common for most pet stores. There's really no way to tell for sure though.

#20 ·
light white area between the eyes - do they get white with age?

Hi, here are the stats: Betta is a blue male and has developed a white area between his eyes. I tried lots to treatments which I will list after what you asked for. Had him over a year. Lived in just under a gallon jar with Jave Moss plant keeping water cleaned. 100 % water change about once a month, never did partial changes.
Cleaned glass with aquarium salt when changing water and used water conditioner to clear out chlorine and add slime to water also added recommended aquarium salt when filling back with water. Had no heater. Had him in sun area in day. He has had ick in the past so I know this is not that and I treated with Jungle and it cleared it. I never tested the water for chemical contents, but this never happened before and my water changing habits have not changed so I doubt it is chemical. He eats 5 pellets hikari in morning and 5 at night (as he grew i had to increase to this since he got so ferosious going after the food when I gave him less). Never had any over feeding problems. Never had other fish with him when this developed. When the white area became noticable was about 2 months ago, I tried treating him with Jungle anti fungal, but I double dosed him and his eating habits became poor, so I stopped the treatment even though the white area was still there. He got his appetite back a little and i decided to get him a companion, a single zebra danio. That did the trick, he got his whole appetite back now that he had competition. After a while the white spot is still there and I am worried is getting whiter, so I buy Eclipse system 3 gallon tank and a 25 watt marinland heater and thermometer, I set it to self regulate to 79 degrees. I see before doing this the water was around 71 degrees. I try the jungle again at right dose for 4 days, white area still there. I change out 2/3 water. then I get bettafix (all natural treatment) and try it a couple of days, still have white spot. I do a full tank water change to get it out. I leave him in clean water a day and get betta revive from hikai with that blue chemical in it. Have been trying that for a 3 days so far. White area still there just not as pronounced. His appetite is still good. He is not real active, but he never was either. The Zebra danio has been active like when I first got it, no changes in its health (have had it and the new tank 2-3 weeks?).
Could this just be old age and the fish scales have just turned white or is it likely fungus or bacteria? Thanks E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.