Betta Fish Forum banner

Water cold to touch

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  MissFutureVet 
#1 ·
So I bought a thermometer a few months ago because my last one broke. It is the 3 dollar thermometer from petco. My concern is that it always says 80 degrees, however the water is kinda cold to the touch. So is it my heater that's broken, or the thermometer, or both or am I just being paranoid?

#3 ·
The water should feel cool to touch.....remember our body temp is about 98.8F and feeling the water is not a good way to monitor temp....

A good way to test your thermometer-get a hot cup of water to place it in and see if the temp goes up or a ice cold water to see if the temp moves.

I like to use a digital thermometer to do quick checks on my tanks...I got it in the housewares dept for under $7.00....

#4 ·
Ok. I guess I was just being paranoid after all. Because I've adjusted the heater to see if if makes a difference in the temp, and it doesn't. But I did the hot and cold water test as you suggested, and the temp moved. I guess Im just kinda overly cautious. Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.