Betta Fish Forum banner

New tank? New friend?

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Jessie1990 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've had my male betta for about a year now, his name is Fishy (oh so creative, I know) and he's a spunky little guy. He likes to jump for his food and watch TV (and people too!). I've been thinking about getting him a new tank for a little while now because the one I have has no lighting and the shape doesn't lend itself to adding lighting very well. He's currently in this: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Marina-...d=1347382828&sr=8-10&keywords=alien+fish+tank

It's a 2.65 gallon tank, with a filter, and I bought one of those flat little betta heaters for the bottom under the pebbles.

I was thinking about getting a larger tank since I want to get a new one for lighting purposes so I can get real plants and they won't die on me.

I figured since I'll be getting a larger tank, I may as well try and get Fishy a friend as well.

I'm looking for suggestions for a tank mate and a tank for Fishy. I'm trying to keep the tank cost under $50... really as cheap as possible for decent quality (I'm a college student working 2 jobs, so... the cheaper the better, but I certainly want the best I can afford for my fish.).

I'd also prefer to buy both the tank and tank mate at a local store. I live between Ardmore, PA and West Philadelphia... if that helps with stores at all.

Thanks everyone! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Fantastic, thank you!

Would you recommend 10 gal for just one extra friend for him? Or could I add multiple extras? I'm not sure what the bio-waste is per creature or where to find that.

And if I get a 10 gal, is there a specific one you could recommend? As I said, I'm trying to find one that's inexpensive, and I could buy in person rather than online.

Thanks again!

#4 ·
a normal ten gal you can get from wally world for about 12-14 bucks.as long as you got a 10 gallon HOB (hang on back) filter you could get a school of any of the schooling fish on the list. Mollies, platties, cory cats, rasboras, or any type of tetra (keep in mind the tetras can get nippy).

#6 ·
NP. If you pick a schooling fish make sure you get at least 6 of them. They like company and do better in company of their own kind. You could also get a good school of ghost/cherry shrimp along with your new fishies, they put out near to no bio-load, and also a mystery snail for cleansing purposes.

#8 ·
I would check your local craigslist first. I've seen some steals for 10 gallon tank and some possible extras. You might have to clean it but it will save you a ton. Also if you feel the need to buy once again walmart (although I hate to admit it) has the cheapest tanks/hoods/heaters I know of. Make sure it doesn't leak though. That was not a pleasant surprise...

#9 ·
Watch out with shrimp - many bettas will eat the smaller ones. I've had ghost shrimp with my bettas with very few problems. Then I decided to splurge on some yellow shrimp for one of my tanks; 7 of 10 were munched the first day. But they're really fun to watch, so try them, but maybe only add one or two to begin with, and see what happens.

#10 ·
Thank you for all of the help!

I found a 10 gallon tank on craigslist with the hood and light included as well as a filter for $15!

I'm wondering if the filter will be too strong for my betta even with a stocking on the end of it... it's a Whisper power filter 10. If so, what should I get to replace it?

Also, could anyone recommend a good heater for a 10 gallon tank? I have a little one for the tank he's in currently, but I know it's only recommended for up to 3 gallons, which clearly won't do it.

Thanks again! :)

#11 ·
Te filter will be find just get a syrofoam cup or craft mesh and create somthing that will baffle the flow of water. As for the heater you could get one at petco/petsmart or even wally world. Just get one thats for 10 gallon tanks. I have one from there thats non-adjustable but is set to 78 degrees. It's made of stone and "unbreakable" and so far I have yet to break it :p

#15 ·
I have a nerite snail for each betta... All three bettas attack anything else. Had to rehome Cory cats and they ate all the shrimp I put in within an hour... Apparently I have very aggressive fish. They like to watch the nerites but don't bite the eyes off like they did to the gold mystery snail...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.