Betta Fish Forum banner

hi I'm new

756 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  veganchick 
#1 ·
Hi! My name is Marcela and I'm from Costa Rica. I'm 18 and I was planning on owning a betta fish. I already own a female maltese dog and a male hedgehog who all live in my bedroom. I love animals and can't get enough of them so I was thinking that a betta fish would be an easy pet to take care of and also a beautiful one.
But fist I want to know the basics of taking care of one so that I would be prepared to own one. So that's why I would like you help me out with.
Thanks! I could use all the advice! :-D

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum. We usually recommend a 2.5 gallon or larger tank for bettas. The tank doesn't HAVE to have a filter but they help to keep the water extra clean. They don't necessarily need a heater if they are kept in a warm room. You can put silk or real plants in the tank and some kind of decoration or something they can hide or sleep in. As far as food goes, bettas like a variety of food. Pellets should be their main diet and you can also feed them freeze dried or frozen daphnia, bloodworms or brine shrimp. These foods should be fed as a once or twice a week treat. I hope I've covered what you want to know.

#4 ·
Hi Marce033 and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of info here on caring for your betta fish. I would read over the Betta Care thread so you can have a happy healthy fishy.

On a diff. note, I visited Costa Rica about 4 years ago. It is the most amazing and beautiful country that i've been to.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum! I think Dramaqueen covered everything nicely. I also recommend looking through the Betta care sheet. Good luck!

#10 ·
No, it could work really well if you do water changes often enough (100% 2-3 times a week) I would reccomend a female betta just because they tend to be smaller in size and would not mind a smaller tank as much. Just keep up VERY often water changes, and change the decor around every once and awhile and you should have a healthy, happy fish!

#12 ·
It should be okay, I have two males split in a 3.3 gallon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.