Betta Fish Forum banner

Bettas got together... roughed up. Need care advice for post fight injuries

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  LaniBaby 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have 2 bettas that have been living in a 10gallon with a divider for months now with no issues. I have been moving this weekend so I put them into a 2.5 gallon with a divider so they would be easy to move. Some how or another, they ended up on the same side and had a fight. One fish, Paul (red vt), got beat up much more than Ira. I immediately set up my second 2.5 gallon and have them appart now. I have been doing betafix treatments once a day per the instructions on the bottle. Ira seems to be fine and is eating regularly. Paul is much more hurt. He is swimming fine and seems to be having normal gill movements. He makes it to the top of the tank with no trouble for air. He is hesitant to eat, however. Is mouth/nose seems a little torn up from the fight, but has gone down since the betafix treatments. I finally got him to eat one pellet this morning and he is swimming around the tank more.

Is there anything else I can do to make sure he heals properly?
Should I give him more bloodworms that usual due to their softer texture than pellets?
After the treatment is over, is a 100% water change and filter change needed?

Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hopefully he will be alright, most animals can heal themselves fine after a fight and hopefully Paul can too. I would think about giving him bloodworms just because they might give him the extra protein and energy to heal faster, otherwise just keep doing what your doing.

And a 100% water and filter change is probably a good idea, just because then you know that everything is balanced instead of trying to worry.

#6 ·
There is some extract/oil that people use to help betta's heal. Some breeders ship with it. I think you can get it at petshops, but I'm not sure how effective it is. Almond leaf exctract, I think?

Otherwise, I have read that keeping them in very dim lighting/darkness helps while they are healing. I bet he'll be fine with clean water, though. :)

#7 ·
UPDATE:

Paul seems to be doing better. he is moving more and I have gotten him to eat a total of 3 pellets and a few freezedried blood worms in the passed 2 days. His mouth seems to be peeling.. as if it scabbed over and the old skin is falling off. I read someones post about dim lighting being better for the healing process... is this true? That would explain why he seems to be hiding from everyone in his tiki and under his heater. Let me know.

#10 ·
UPDATE

Paul is now eating bloodworms easily. He is still hesitant to eat pellets... soaked or not. So i am not feeding him freezedried bloodworms at his old scheduled eating times. I am feeding him about 4 bloodworms twice a day, for a total of 8 daily. Does this seem like a reasonable ammount? I was feeding him 3-4 pellets twice a day before so I figured that 4 bloodworms... being freezedried and practically non existant would be a reasonable equivalent.

#12 ·
UPDATE:

Paul is back to eating pellets regularly. He is still a little hesitant and his mouth seems to be slightly mishapen after healing... but he seems to be back to normal in behavior otherwise (already making a nest). I have done a complete water and filter change to eliminate all of the medication... i'm going to wait a few days and check the water ph/amonia and such to make sure all is balance.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

#14 ·
i think what onekatietwo is talking about is the indian almond leaf. i know that my breeder uses it after spawns to help heal fins.
I've also heard that a dark place helps keep them calm and allows them to just relax, so maybe that's why he's hiding in the tiki.

can you try smaller pellets? i had some that came with my fish, i think they were atisons, but i'm not sure .They're less than half the size of normal adult betta pellets and can be eaten much more easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.