Betta Fish Forum banner

just what can i put in the tank???

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  dannic 
#1 ·
what's the protocal for tank decor? safe/unsafe
for example, i have a piece of petrified wood...safe?
glass, terra cotta is safe; what else? TIA

#2 ·
Well my boy's love their little caves. Those little cheap ones at Wal-Mart. Blaze likes his little $1.99 PetCo betta plant!

#3 ·
You can use silk plants or live aquarium plants(plastic if it's really soft because they can shred fins). I have a few glass marbles in my aquarium, just make sure your fish can't cut itself, or that they aren't big enough that you fish can squeeze itself between them and get stuck.

A lot of people use terra cotta pots in aquariums, just make sure to plug the drainage hole so the bettas don't get stuck.

Petrified wood is used in some aquariums, but I don't know if people use it with bettas. I would make sure it doesn't have any gloss on it that might dissolve into the water.

Make sure that any decorations you put in the aquarium don't have any sharp edges. Be extra careful with the molded caves by checking the inside of them. Sometimes the mold will form sharp edges. And sometimes fake coral molds will have a very rough jagged texture I wouldn't recommend.

#4 ·
You can put coconuts in as caves, but you would need to sand them down REALY well to get rid of any sharp edges, and check the holes or cracks in them too. Boil them to get rid of tannins.

#9 ·
Yeah...... no petrified wood.
Only silk plants or live ones.
The cave holes have to be really big or else your fish's fins might get scraped.
The gravel has to be smooth

#10 ·
Whoa, long weekend and sort of forgot about this...:oops:. Regardless, thanks for the answers. So, I'm wanting some rocks...can I find some nice ones, clean them up and put them in? Do they need to be a certain type? We have tons of lava rock round these parts...or is that a no-go too?

#11 ·
Sorry if this has nothing to do with this - But it as some relation:

Can you put Lava rocks in fish tanks/bowls? I heard you hurt the fish when you do..

#14 ·
One way to know if the rocks are safe enough:
1.Use the rocks that you are confident with so that if you rub them on a fifty dollar blue ray disk, it won't get scratched.
2. Rub them on a fifty dollar blue ray disk. If the disk gets scratched, then its not safe.
FYI:The blue ray disk is incentive to try hard to pick out the one that even might scratch the Betta even a little bit.

#15 ·
SO, then rocks ARE safe if chosen carefully for smoothness?

Also, I was told by someone that the way you know a rock (it's source: limestone, lava, ect) is safe for aquarium use is to pour vinegar over it. If it bubbles, it is not safe; no bubbles, then the rock is a compatible material. Has anyone heard this? :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.