Betta Fish Forum banner

Top Fin 5.5 Kit

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Aurie 
#1 ·
Anyone have this kit and use the filter? I really didn't like it but i got some tips on how to tweek it up. Any reviews?

#2 ·
I bought it and also bought an Aquaclear 20 immediately to replace the filter.

Since then, however, I purchased a separate 5.5 gallon as a quarantine tank and put the topfin filter on it. I ditched the filter media that came with it; instead I'm using a piece of Fluval sponge, and some biomass in mesh bags that came from two different cycled tanks. I think the theory was good, but unfortunately, the QT isn't cycled. :-(

The filter itself is fine -- quieter than I thought it would be. It's larger than the Aquaclear 20 though.

#3 ·
I bought it and also bought an Aquaclear 20 immediately to replace the filter.

Since then, however, I purchased a separate 5.5 gallon as a quarantine tank and put the topfin filter on it. I ditched the filter media that came with it; instead I'm using a piece of Fluval sponge, and some biomass in mesh bags that came from two different cycled tanks. I think the theory was good, but unfortunately, the QT isn't cycled. :-(

The filter itself is fine -- quieter than I thought it would be. It's larger than the Aquaclear 20 though.
Aquaclear is what i use for my 2 10 gallons. The top fin filter has no adjustable flow. I could tweek it but really am too lazy lol and rather just buy one that i know will work.

Do you think the aquaclear will work just as good and gentle in a 5.5 gallon as it does in a 10 gallon?

#6 ·
hey! i have this tank - purchased it approx 2months ago. looks great, gives the betta lots of room to swim and for decorations and plants... i have kept the original filter and light that comes with it - haven't had any issues with it so far. the only thing is i inserted a small piece of sponge into the intake for the filter to slow down the water flow as it was a bit too fast/strong for my betta. that really helped alot, it still keeps the aquarium clean but did slow down the water flow.

#8 ·
I got the aquaclear! and it works awesome on the 5.5 gallon. I replaced the carbon with an extra sponge for more BB! I'll save the top fin filter for another tank. Maybe. I like to stick with the things i like and trust. Not a big fan of top fin anymore.

#9 ·
i do! i bought some filter sponges and made a baffle for mine. i had a baby betta and she has had no problem swimming. this is what mine looks like now (see attachment)
all i use is a rubber band and a cut filter sponge. it can be easily removed for cleaning and it hasnt bothered my betta at all.

Attachments

#11 ·
I put a sponge filter in mine. It doesn't pick up the solid stuff but it is quiet and gets air into the tank as well.. I have the filter sitting in the original box as a backup in case something goes wrong. Sponge filter was only like $5 at my LFS (petco/petsmart doesn't carry them)

Aurie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.