Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding double tails together

4K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  rb500 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if I should breed my new double tail together.

I heard that breeding doubletails together is bad. What do you guys think?

#3 ·
She said after the first generation I'll have to cross back to single tails. All I have are these two double tails...

#5 ·
Pretty much but I don't have a single tail that's compatible with them. I could use one of my red cambodian crowntails...

#7 ·
I'll try.

#9 ·
Alright so Im still trying to understandthis whole genetic but are you saying right now you breed the two doubletails that the fry will be double tails, but the the F2 generation you have to breed one doubletail with a singletail that carrys the DT gene if you want more DTs?

#10 ·
It's not to get more DTs (well we want more DTs) but it's to fix the genetic problems DTs have such as bent spines, stubby bodies, and the extra swim bladder problems.

#11 ·
Ohh I see, so if you just keep breeding DTs together they get messed up so every other generation you basically have to start fresh by breeding to a ST.

#12 ·
Yop pretty much

#13 ·
hmmmm interesting, ive been looking for a dt but cant find them in any of the pets stores where i live

#15 ·
Ya you should've. ;)

#17 ·
I keep finding double tails at PetCo but they had bad lobes and what not, I decided to get better quality ones.

Oh and I'm goin to Walmart today, I'm gonna come home with somethin.
My Walmart has healthy bettas but bacterial infections in other tanks, you should've seen the minnows.

#19 ·
Yop, my Walmart has GREAT looking bettas. Most of them are veil tails but I've seen a halfmoon there and I bought a mustard gas there (he loves the little jar I gave him ;) ).

I'm also gonna buy two tanks for the double tails and a few more jars.

The female that got dropsy was from walmart too but I think she was just prone to bacterial infection, :/

#20 ·
my wal mart just got rid of all the fish.. sad. i like to buy my fish in bad condition to try and help them.... but they all were pretty much dead...all of the time. people would open up the tanks and pour hairspray and stuff in with them..never saw anything but vt's though

#21 ·
Well I returned with a mustard gas female. I knew this would happen :p.

Any name suggestions?

#23 ·
lol. Idk I'm thinking she's ready to breed so I'm gonna condition them and remove my current pair and place these guys in there.

#25 ·
My current spawn is gettin beat up really bad so I had to remove them :/

#26 ·
name suggestion: how about sunflower?...

#27 ·
Ya that one is good :)

#30 ·
Sunflower all around!

I thought breeding double tails twice was bad because you would get quadruple tails or something lol
Sunflower has turned from my most unhealthy fish to a beautiful healthy alpha (taken her place and had her size to prove it to everyone else in that tank) female. Her color is bright blue with bright yellow fins.

The double tail male is a great spawner (I took out the halfmoon and put him in there) and has a HUGE bubblenest. Sorry for switching my pairs and stuff. I guess you'll have to wait and see what I get :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.