Betta Fish Forum banner

My new betta... question

2K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  DragonFish 
#1 ·
First of all... Some may remember me, I am fairly new here. Just got my betta last weekend (11th). I have done two water changes, per recommendation. A few tests. And the levels all seem fine, hoping I'm reading them correctly. I have the API test, and test strips. And actually the two tests appear to match. No ammonia, nitrites or nitrates.. However the pH is about 7.4. Also on the test strip it tests for hardness, and it comes back "Hard." I hear hardness won't harm a fish.. But pH? I was told not to use any chemicals in the water besides conditioner. I am doing the recommended tests and water changes (50% twice weekly while cycling).. which is another question - when do I know the tank is cycled? Anyhow, back to the original question... pH.. should I worry, should I do anything about this? He is very active, healthy appetite (I normally feed about 6-7 pellets a day?). Steady 79 degree temp. The only thing I am not sure about is his fins don't seem completely "open?" The top one is curled a bit, and the back one a tiny on the top part. I read somewhere this could be due to hard water. But how do I change that, is it worth it to change? Is it harming him? Sorry for all the questions.. I am going to post some pics so you can see him, and the fins for yourself. Also a link to a YouTube video I uploaded from my phone. Am also still trying to think of a name, suggestions welcome!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIQ2JuqxRqE

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me add this... he hasn't flared at me once. I put up a mirror to him and he showed no sign of aggression. Is that a good sign, that he's not aggressive, or a reason to worry?
He had started what appeared to be a bubble nest.. but instead I guess a bunch of random bubbles all over the surface of the water in the tank. But once I did the first water change, he stopped. Hasn't given me anymore bubbles. Just in case this info is important...

#3 ·
Hey there Stellar. :)

Sounds to me like for the most part you've got all your ducks in a row. Looks like you have a nicely-sized tank, a good temperature, all your testing equipment on hand and a very stunning and healthy looking little guy! Over all, everything looks quite fantastic. ;)

Your PH is perfectly fine, and the hardness really isn't anything to be concerned about. You do have the right idea about not messing with it, just to reassure you. Bettas are very hardy fish, they can adapt to a wide range of PHs and hardness levels. Generally so long as is stable, its nothing to worry about.

I did notice your guys belly seemed to be a little on the large side. What brand do you feed? Are the pellets spread out through a couple of feedings or just all at once?

Have you taken a look at this sticky yet? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
It should explain the cycling process/tell you what to look for when your cycle has been completed.

As far as flaring and aggression goes.....that is a personality thing. Nothing to really be concerned about. I have had fish who flare at the drop of a hat, and ones who were so placid and shy I'm positive they were completely unaware that they were Fighting Fish. :lol:
Not all bettas react to mirrors. Some don't care for their reflection at all, but might react to another actual male(these, in my opinion, are the slightly smarter ones) or sometimes even weird random objects like pens or figures or cups. They're strange little guys with their own unique personalities, you never know. xD
Its the same with bubble nests as well. Its an instinctive territorial behavior, something they just....do. Some do it more then others. Some obsess over making massive stacks of bubbles taking over their tanks, some never blow a bubble in their lives....they're just funny like that. ;)

#6 ·
Thank you for all the info! I actually feed him the Omega pellets, 3 when I get up. 2 midday, then 2 later before bed. He was looking bloated that day. RIGHT after I took the pix and video, he pooped :) And went back to normal. The day of or day before I took the pix, I had changed his food to Omega. Since the kind I originally bought turned out to be low quality. So that may have factored into him being a bit bloated.

#4 · (Edited)
I think hes just scared. Take him out of that big tanks and put him in a jar or A 1g ank for a few days please do this and see wat happens let me know if he starts to flare. I know you might ask why take him out of big tank with nice planted deco and put him in a smaller tank? Well some bettas like smaller tanks especially show bettas. Wild type like big planted tanks more cause thats where they came from. Please try my method it might help you and your betta let me know the reaults if you do try it

#9 ·
He doesn't act even a tiny bit scared of anything.. he comes to me and greets me when I walk by. I don't know how I feel about changing his environment to something so small. He didn't have curled fins at the store, in his small tank.. I do find that ironic. But I just cant see reducing his space again. Does anyone have a similar experience with the bettas fins curling when added to a larger aquarium? I read more about it being the water conditions (hardness) that causes the curling...

#5 ·
The tank is cycled when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and readable nitrates. This will take about 6-8 weeks if you've not seeded the filter with bacteria. During the cycle you will see the ammonia rise, and then the nitrites rise - this is when conditions are dangerous for the fish and you have to be diligent about testing and water changes.

PS - you don't need to check for nitrates until you have seen a rise in both the ammonia and the nitrite - there will be no nitrate reading until those 2 things have happened so don't bother wasting the testing supplies until then.

#7 ·
Thank you! I did not seed the filter with bacteria.. didnt know I could. Should I? I did add that bacteria to the tank when I started. But thats it. I have the Aquaclear filter. It comes with a carbon and biomax cartridge. Someone told me to remove the carbon, but not the biomax. Any input about that?

Thanks also for letting me know about the nitrate test. I will wait to use it until I see any levels of Ammonia and nitrites!

Do you think it would be beneficial to my betta to add an indian almond leave? I've read a bit about it.. I think I even read somewhere that it can reduce hardness in water. But has anyone found in beneficial in other ways?

#11 ·
Oh! I totally forgot about your question about the fin curling....

I highly, HIGHLY doubt it has any relation to the size of the tank. I've never heard of a larger tank resulting in curled fins; quite the opposite actually. Often a clear, warm environment with lots of space to move will aid in the uncurling of fins. Though often once fins curl, they generally stay that way for the most part.

Hard water does indeed cause fin curling. I would say in your case, thats probably it. Its nothing really to be concerned about, a little fin curling won't harm him.

I also must respectfully disagree with the idea of him being 'scared'. Based on my own research and experience, I can quite confidently say that bettas have quite the variety of personalities with contribute to behaviors such as flaring and nesting and the like.
Now, as far as tank size goes, often when moving a betta into a larger aquarium they can become stressed, pale, clamped, shy and/or lethargic. This leads most people to assume that bettas prefer smaller spaces, but IMO/E this is very often(with the acception of a few rare cases)not at all true. Bettas like cover, they like to have plants and caves to hide in, swim around, and rest on. It makes them feel much more secure....they do come from such a densely planted environment in the wild after all, and even though this commonly found betta species is quite far from wild, they still like a good bit of cover.....which often because of the expense is not provided properly when someone sets up a larger 5-10+ gallon aquarium. Its the bareness of the tank that is often what causes the stress as the betta feels exposed and vulnerable, not the volume of water. No tank is too larger provided there is enough cover for the betta to feel secure(this can also very depending on the personality of the individual betta....a more outgoing one might not mind the space so much, but a shyer, more timid personality might need to be given and extra plant or two).

But, in this case, as the video clearly shows this particular fish appears very content and not at all shy or skiddish about his home. Therefore, he probably just does not feel threatened by his own reflection and doesn't feel the need to defend his territory. Meaning it is just the kind of fish he is. ;)

#12 ·
Thanks so much for your input!! makes me feel better!

Just to be clear... when I do my water changes, I do NOT need to remove my fish form the tank right? In reading other threads - some say they should be re-acclimated to the new water. Is that for 100% water changes only, or have I been doing this wrong?

#22 ·
Oh yes, so true.....its really very, very sad. Honestly, it really is such a shame that the chain stores won't step up and properly educate their employees about the true needs and care of fish, and other misunderstood reptiles and rodents and the like. Clearly, they don't get that "there is no cheap pet" means more money for them in the long run. :roll: I mean seriously.....if they were to provide PROPER information, sure a few people might just not get the animal, but the people that DO and actually purchase proper setups and supplies would likely make up for that....
Sigh.
I do believe if you want to complain about the conditions, pull an employee aside and ask for the manager of the store and express to them how displeased you are with the conditions of their fish and bettas from the point of view of a concerned and caring customer. If the don't get the memo once, I'd say keep complaining, and if they refuse to do anything contact the higher ups.

Ahhh, perhaps you could use that in your complaint! Say you had planned to purchase some more fish for your aquarium, but after seeing the conditions they were kept in you plan on maybe taking your business elsewhere. ;) Could maybe light a little fire under their tails, get them at least thinking about cleaning their tanks a little more.

#25 ·
Oh yes, so true.....its really very, very sad. Honestly, it really is such a shame that the chain stores won't step up and properly educate their employees about the true needs and care of fish, and other misunderstood reptiles and rodents and the like. Clearly, they don't get that "there is no cheap pet" means more money for them in the long run. :roll: I mean seriously.....if they were to provide PROPER information, sure a few people might just not get the animal, but the people that DO and actually purchase proper setups and supplies would likely make up for that....
Sigh.
I do believe if you want to complain about the conditions, pull an employee aside and ask for the manager of the store and express to them how displeased you are with the conditions of their fish and bettas from the point of view of a concerned and caring customer. If the don't get the memo once, I'd say keep complaining, and if they refuse to do anything contact the higher ups.

Ahhh, perhaps you could use that in your complaint! Say you had planned to purchase some more fish for your aquarium, but after seeing the conditions they were kept in you plan on maybe taking your business elsewhere. ;) Could maybe light a little fire under their tails, get them at least thinking about cleaning their tanks a little more.
Yeah... i hate thinking about the sad stuff :(

On a higher note.. i can see this being addicting. I was already thinking of getting a second smaller tank for the counter top or something :) There are so many bettas out there who could use a nice place to live hehe! Do you have any 5 gal tanks yourself? I am trying to find a good but compact option.. If I find the right one, I may consider it..

Oh and any name suggestions for my current betta? I am SOO bad at coming up with names! :)

#26 ·
Indeed. :/

xD Hurray positive subject change!
Haha, oh yes. There is no doubt about it, bettas are incredibly addictive. There are so many varieties, and they're just so DARNED adorable with their intelligence and attentiveness and unique little personalities....like tiny underwater puppies! <3 Haha it really is difficult to have just one!

I have two standard 5.5 gallons. If you filter and cycle it, pretty much about the same care as a 10 gallon for just, you know, a tad on the smaller side. xD
There are several different options as far as shape goes with 5 gallons of course....there is the Mini-bow, the Fluval Chi(my DREAM tank <3), a Hex....as far as I know, besides the shape, not too much of a difference between any of them though.

Oh goodness.....I'm absolutely horrible with names. xD; My fish just get named after characters, because I'm just a geek like that.... :lol:
What sort of names do you like?

#27 ·
haha, anything! I think I may have gotten one.. I like Opal, but he's a boy so I have trouble calling him a girlie name :) So my coworker suggested Opie. The "male" version of Opal.. haha Makes me think of a character from family guy, ha but I think it could work!

I saw that Chi tank, was considering it. But read some good and BAD reviews.. I guess the filter isn't so great. But being a betta doesn't need a wonderful filter, I thought its an option. But an expensive one! Plus I would need the cover.. I dunno. I saw the hex too. I like the little mini bows, but some reviews suggest they don't last long. I'd like to get the same filter and heater I have, they are great. I considered putting in a divider, but I do still want to get cories at some point. Does it matter what cories I get? I like the pandas, but I saw some other real cute ones too. I may change my mind.. :)

#28 ·
Daww, Opie is a cute name! I like it! xD

About when the Chis came out I was working at a LFS, so I got the privileged of getting to mess with and take one apart....I absolutely adore the look of them. I know what you mean about the filter though, kinda iffy and a little strong, but I figure I could probably modify it a little. I do believe they actually sell covers online though.....a little on the pricey side indeed, but goodness wouldn't I love to have one!! xD
Yeah, the bows are on the cheaper side I believe....but generally they're OK. The filter I've heard isn't so great though. The hex....I'm personally not a huge fan of the shape, but it seems to be a decent tank from what I've heard.

Ahhh yes, the debate of dividing or other tank mates....its so hard to choose sometimes!! xD
So long as they're all the same kind, and they're true corys(there are some imposter species out there!), it shouldn't matter what species you get. ;)

#29 ·
My mini bows are lasting forever. I don't use the filter that comes with them tho - I replace with one I like better. Same with the light bulb. But the tanks are nice looking and hold up very well. Whoever said they don't last long must be beating the heck out of it.

A 5g minibow runs $50-$60 altho you can sometimes find them on sale for a few dollars cheaper.

#30 ·
So.... i got home and started noticing my fish is having trouble swimming throughout the tank. He tries to go downward, but then immediately floats. :( I tried doing a quick search and came across swim bladder. Does this sound accurate? Has anyone else experienced this, and what do I do? checked water conditions and everything is normal. Temp is fine. Steady at 79. What do I do? :-(

#33 ·
This is a link to the sticky thread I've been visiting frequently to read up on their more common illnesses and diseases - not that I think your guy has a serious problem yet!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333

Also, I think he's a very pretty fish, with a quiet and friendly personality from what I've been reading :) You've given him a wonderful home, so maybe just a pellet or two less?

#34 ·
Thanks for your responses! I'm sorry I haven't responded again til now. I actually thought about it after and realized i should have posted in the diseases section, so I did... and i've been responding to that. Actually... i went out and got some epsom salt, per recommendation. Got the small tank all set up for him... and when I went to get him ready to move, i noticed - no more floating. He must have pooped cuz he's back to normal! What a scare though, Im so new at this. Someone said i am likely feeding him too much. So I am going to be doing 2 pellets twice a day. He is a little guy, so I likely overfed him :( I learned my lesson!!

#36 ·
Glad he's doing okay =) I think I fed my guy one pellet too many today too >.< he a little bloated and nose-diving the substrate, gah! But now I know, only 2 pellets for him. And a bloodworm every once in a while.

But really glad your guy's doing better =)

I've heard that having a 'betta-first-aid' kit helps, reading up on some basics you need for almost all the disease, like the aq and epsom salts and some of the medications. That's my plan once I can get to the city.

#37 ·
I use mini spiral bulbs- anywhere between 5 watt and 13 watt works although I prefer the lower wattage cause they are smaller and fit under the bulb shield better. They raise the temp just a degree or two. You can get them anywhere these days - Target, Walmart, drug stores, home improvement stores, grocery stores. Be sure you get the ones with the wide base and not the skinny candelabra base (the metal part that screws in). Basically the base should look the same as a regular lightbulb.

http://www.blocklighting.com/p-51696-sks7eawwsp-single-pack.aspx?gclid=CJX1gtzb4bMCFY-d4AodWy0A-g

#38 ·
Ahh, I didn't notice you're other thread! I've been checking back for your response here every once in a while......I'm not too active on the forum in the evenings. xD;

Glad to hear hes recovered! It does sound like he probably just had one too many pellets, especially if he is a tiny little guy! He certainly doesn't look that small, looking back. xD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.