Betta Fish Forum banner

Possible Swim bladder issues? Help!

597 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nowzem 
#1 ·
So I just released my new girl into the sorority and I'm really concerned because she doesn't swim right (like the other bettas). The way she moves is more like a kuhli loach or something...she immediately sank to the bottom and it looks like she struggles to swim at all. I'm afraid she may have to have her own, much shallower tank because it doesn't look like she's even capable or getting to the surface!

Anyone have any idea what could cause her to sink/look paralyzed/only move her pectorals? She CAN move her body because I've seen her do little bursts in her small cup but the current from the HOB filter all but knocks her over! She is able to right herself tho. :( She is kinda hopping along on the bottom, exploring.

I'm really concerned! Any help is much appreciated!
I've attached a pic of her in the tank (a 55g).

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I wouldn't think it would be a filter problem if the other fish are o.k. but its possible. Can you see a strong current within the water (if you look through the side of the tank can you see water movement)? Harley really fought with the current on his HOB filter so I had to baffle it.

#5 ·
Thanks guys! I don't think its MY water or anything because I literally posted that first post 5 minutes after acclimating her (and she stayed on the bottom of the cup before I acclimated, but the cup is so small I didn't notice anything odd about her!)

Also, when I cut off the light, she swam right up to the surface, almost got stuck to the filter, but made a dash and got away. Do you think its possible, that because she's 'giant' that she has always been in a tiny cup and never really learned to swim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.