Betta Fish Forum banner

Water Chemistry Worries

412 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Fin Fancier 
#1 ·
Having just moved to the city water quality has been a constant battle in my attempts to get back into keeping bettas. I got Aqueon which claims to "neutralize harmful chlorine, chloramines, ammonia and heavy metals." I set up my five gallon tank, turned on the heater, and conditioned the water last night. My new female is floating, happily, acclimating now.
I'm sure overnight is enough time to let it settle. So once she's had an hour to acclimate I'm going to put her in. Does the conditioner cover all of the water parameters (other than hardness and pH) that I should be worrying about?

#2 ·
Hi there...I used to use Aqueon and it detoxifies the ammonia only I believe and like most conditioners only for 48 hours and then if you get and ammonia reading from your tank water you need to do a 50 percent water change. I switched to Prime water conditioner because it also detoxes the nitrite and nitrate along with the ammonia but for 48 hours only. I cycled my 5 gallon tank doing a fish in cycle, are you planning to cycle yours ? Best of wishes to you and your new Betta !

#3 ·
Thanks for the confidence booster. I lost my first betta to bad water conditions after her first water change so I'm determined to get this one right. I got the tank off of craigslist and didn't get a filter with it, so I may look into it in the future, maybe for Christmas. For now I'm planning on doing 1 50% change and 1 100% change a week. I'm open to getting a different conditioner if there are better ones suggested. I want her to do really well. I made sure to go in on Petsmart's shipment day so she'd be healthy and she's quite active.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.