Betta Fish Forum banner

Homemade sponge filter thingy?

753 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mister Sparkle 
#1 ·
Technical huh? I am sure you know what I am talking about. I am wanting to just make something like this myself as I think it is cheaper than buying one? From what I have seen I need - air pump, tubing, sponge to fit on the end - is this it?

#2 ·
Just wanted to add that I have the same question as you! There are some DIY videos on Youtube, if you search "Sponge filter", but I think I'd prefer buying a pre-made one that looks professional.

My biggest question is what air pump to get for a 10 gallon tank. Anyways, sorry I'm of no help, but someone will come along soon. :)

#4 ·
ParisRose, it depends what you're using the "diffuser thingy" (air stone?) for. Which for me, is somewhat useless, but many people use the air stone WITH the sponge filter.

#7 ·
Yes, it doesn't require more than just a very small and basic pump. And, yes, some sponges actually have an air stone in it. I've made some myself, but many of the ones I've seen on YouTube are very poorly designed. If I ever develop some motivation, I might decide to do a DIY thread on sponge filters. But, as Joe pointed out, they really are very inexpensive already. I got this one for $8 at my LFS...but the picture probably won't work for many of you. It's a Xinyou model...I have it in an aquarium that also has an HOB filter. Whenever I clean the gravel and lots of detritous is floating around in the water, the side with the sponge clears up MUCH faster than the side with the power filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.