Betta Fish Forum banner

Changed substrate

951 views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  lordadamar 
#1 ·

I took out the gravel and put in black tahiti moon sand.

See less See more
#6 ·
Not sure if I want to go with the coffee or the red color..I ordered some samples.:-D

N03113, you have inspired me to get rid of my gravel...again... This time I will stick with a good sand that isn't going to get funky in my tank.:lol: Either the black tahini or the coffee colored substrate...not sure yet.
Your betta is stunning btw.Gorgeous blue.:)

#9 ·
That looks really nice! I had sand in my old 20gal but found it difficult to clean. Probably not so bad for a smaller tank with just one betta... maybe I will give it a try again!

#10 ·
Well, I wanted to put Eco-complete in.. but none of the local shops had it :( So, I decided to go with the sand. It's from Carib sea - they also have an instant aquarium one with the same sand, except it has living sand (they put in blackwater or other microorganisms to make the cycling process easier)

http://www.caribsea.com/

I'm still doing more research on just how to care for a sand substrated tank. Kinda meh cause I just bought a gravel washer which is way too powerful for sand - so back to using my turkeybaster syphon ^.^

I don't have or want any trumpet snails... so, I'll need to agitate the sand here and there to prevent gas build up, yeah?

#11 · (Edited)
Very Familiar with that product, its top notch good choice...

I actually have a baffles intake cone on my gravel vacuum, so I only suck up the garbage not the rocks, cause my substrate is tiny and engineered like Eco-Complete...

I believe you can find the accessories on pet solutions to do that

NO BETTA'S IN THIS TANK

For the purpose of showing you substrate

Attachments

#12 ·
Ah! I really want to change the substrate of my tank to sand. Do I need to put extra effort for it to work though? not that I have a problem with that, i just heard that gas builds up in the air pockets...? I dont know haha.

#14 ·
so when I change the water like once a week (im getting a filter) should I just churn the sand and it'll be fine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.