Betta Fish Forum banner

3 Gallon Betta Space

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Vikki81207 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I just recently bought a beautiful Crowntail betta (silver bodied with red fins...some silver streaks on fins). What color would you call that? I have named him Huevos. :) I'll post pictures soon.

Anyway, he's in a 3 gallon with filter and everything. I was wondering if it's possible to have plants in there? Something small? Some kind of grass or a few lemna? Please don't flame me about that! I'm just trying to learn before I do. Eventually I'll probably add a snail or two.

It's been years since I was into freshwater. :shock: Presently I have a 20 gallon nano reef. However, I fell in love with Huevos. :-?

#7 ·
Thanks! I'll grab one the next time I'm at the store. They are low light right? I don't have the strongest light on there right now.

I know he loves laying in the "fake" plants I have at the bottom, so I'd like for a larger real plant. :)

#3 ·
Dwarf hairgrass is a very hardy grass that takes low to moderate light I think that would probably work in there also. I think depending on your wattage you may even be able to get crypt in there...because if I remember correctly it is a hardy plant too. Just make sure (and I'm sure you know) you have a daylight spectrum light. Also just so you know - snails actually have water requirements that can make bettas prone to fin rot. Not saying it will happen, I had a snail and my betta did fine - but just a little tip for you.

#9 ·
Not saying it will happen, I had a snail and my betta did fine - but just a little tip for you.
Prone to finrot? :shock: I didn't know that. How does that happen with snails? Snails carry a certain bacteria? Is there a way to dip the snails? Or a type of shrimp that can be used to clean algae instead?

#4 ·
You call the color copper or dragon. Dragons have kind of a white to the silver but either way a great combonation.

#5 ·
Picture of Heuvos (Eggs)

Here is his studly self (shows his color off nicely). I lucked out as he's ALWAYS posing (usually his fins are flared rather than hanging).

#8 ·
wow realy pretty

#12 ·
Oh, okay, thanks!

What water parameters do I need to be maintaining for Heuvos? I'm used to maintaining water with a High pH, High kh, and HIGH HIGH calcium. LOL. I've a feeling this is going to be opposite.

Do I need a water softener?

#11 ·
Thanks 5green, drama, and vamp. I was very picky when I selected him (especially in regards to his fins). Too many Crowntails have fins with are less than 33% serrated. The majority of all three of his primary fins are 50% plus and nearly rounded all the way around. He's not -perfect- but close enough for me.

They can have brine shrimp as well right? What about mysis? Just wondering because I have frozen food in the freezer and would like to mix up the blood worm routine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.