Betta Fish Forum banner

1st Time Betta Breeding

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  stevenjohn21 
#1 ·
I have had my male & female betta for almost a week now, i have set the breeding tank up and the male has been on his own in the tank for 2 days now. This morning i placed my female into the tank inside a bowl . The male has flared up and is now making his bubblenest under the poly cup.

How long does the female take to produce eggs ? (I know i cant place her in until she has a full belly).

Are they picky breeders ? because the male is strutting his stuff but the female seems to be ignoring him at the moment.

#2 ·
Less than a week is considered inadequate for conditioning. Try conditioning them for another week before you breed.

The female should always be filled with eggs. When they are willing to breed, their eggs sort of ripens. Then she will be willing to embrace.
Your female doesn't sound as if she is willing to breed. How old are your breeders (approx). If they're only 4 months, sometimes they won't spawn. She should respond to the male and flirt swim with him.

Again, I suggest reconditioning them longer in separate and isolated tanks.

#3 ·
The male is 7 months old (give or take a day or 2) and the female is 6 months old. The breeder i bought them from had them conditioned (fed on rich food daphnia/bloodworms and had not seen a fish for 3 weeks)

Obviously if she is not ready after another few days i will take her out. Does the bubblenest disintegrate eventually if not used ?

#4 ·
The only possible problem I can think of is that your female must have been shocked or something when she was placed in the jar. Try isolating her in that jar for a few days and let her gain courage. Flare her to another female or mirror once in a while. When she shows aggressiveness, try floating her again and see if she responds. Do not let her see the male if she hasn't gained her self esteem. She might get too stressed and may take some time to regain it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.