Betta Fish Forum banner

Guppies dieing!

2K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Crowntailed 
#1 ·
i got a few guppies a couple of weeks ago and now there starting to die off. I have no idea whats boing on. The water is all good with amonia, nitrates, etc. And PH is between 6.5 - 7.0. There is no AQ salt in the water right now, i might try adding some salt but i am not sure how much per gallon? The guppies are usaly at the top so i added more airstones but that doesn't seem to be helping. Before they die they go to the bottom and struggle to stay up right and adventualy die.

#2 · (Edited)
for most aquarium salts i would recommend about 1 tsp to every 5 gallons. for the most part this has worked for me. what size tank do you have? do you have a filter on the tank? if you have a filter that is big enough for the tank you have, that should produce enough air without needing an airstone. Now Guppies are typically top swimming fish and just because they are swimming to the top doesn't necessarily mean that the water doesn't have enough oxygen. is your tank heated? Guppies are tropical fish and need a tank that is heated between 72 F and about 76 F

#3 ·
right now there in a 5g after quartine is over they will be going eather in a 10g for just guppies or a 35g with a few other fish like cory and sword tails. Yes there is a filter on the tank that works great for a 5g. It is kept between 72-78 F. I have never used a heater in this 5g because the filter and light produces enough heat to keep the water at 72-78

#6 ·
okay. well guppies are schooling fish and prolonged quarantine could cause extra stress/ cause the fish to become lonely. I would suggest replacing the one that was losing it's color while keeping the new seemingly aggressive one either quarantined or use a tank divider. although another problem might possibly be lack of vitamins. I have also heard of Guppies losing their colors as they age. Do you have all male guppies?

#9 ·
I would try adding some salt. as long as you only add what is recommended (or even a bit less) i shouldn't hurt. I'm sure you've heard this multiple times but you should have about 2-3 females per male. too few females could result in them becoming stressed and die. have you been doing regular water changes? (approximately 25% a week). I would suggest looking into some water conditioners to help get rid of bacteria. the only other thing i can think of is that perhaps there is a bacteria in the water that has been harming the fish. Is this a brand new fish tank or a previously established tank? (i apologize my responses about the loss of color was meant for a different thread :p)

#11 ·
Okay. Try that and let me know what happens. I'm sorry i couldn't be of anymore help. although I can't pinpoint it exactly I would say your fish were either sick when you got them or that they caught a disease of some sort.

#12 ·
Actually, it's 1 TABLESPOON per gallon, not teaspoon. Or 1 teaspoon per gallon. Did you acclimate them? Or was there any sickness or sick guppies in the pet store? Might be TB. Most guppies are already sick in the pet store. They're TROPICAL fish and need very warm tanks. Not 72-76, more of 78-80.

#13 ·
Most places i've seen say that a good temp is anywhere between 72-80 F (as long as you slowly acclimate them to that temp.) Colder temps cause them to grow slower but as a result they tend to live longer then guppies in warm temps that grow quickly

#19 ·
I see, just don't use it for longer than 10 days, and do a 100% water change after those 10 days
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Weird. Your pH is low for guppies- and though I doubt this is having such an effect on them, maybe you should pick up some crushed coral at a petshop and add it to their water. :) It might give them an extra boost if nothing else. Guppies are tough as nails but there's a slight chance that's your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.