Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Pronounciation???

6K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  Jayy 
#1 ·
How do you say betta? I'm just asking because people at my LPS say bet-tuh. Which sounds strange to me.
I've heard these other pronunciations:

bay-duh
bed-duh
bet-tuh
bay-tuh

Which one is it???

#10 ·
Well, technically, it's supposed to be bet-tuh in English. But, what are words besides what we make them? I say bay-tuh. I get annoyed with people who say that's "wrong." And, I'm sure if the people who make dictionaries cared about bettas, they'd eventually put in that both pronunciations are acceptable (like the multiple acceptable pronunciations for semicolon).

#11 ·
Good point. Many words have different pronunciations, depending on where you live. Around here, it has ALWAYS been "bay-tuh", not "bet-tuh". If you said, "Bet-tuh" to anyone, most people would try to correct you as "bay-tuh". Besides, what does it really matter, when usually you can tell by the context of the conversation what the person is talking about?

#16 ·
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
It depends entirely on where you live and what you grew up with. Just because the dictionary says something is correct doesn't make it so: My mom grew up saying lilock instead of lilac, and when I went with my family on a trip to DC, the "natives" (lol) got a huge kick out of us saying "ki-yote" instead of "ki-yo-tea". (Why we were talking about coyotes is beyond me :p) Around here, where I live, everyone says "bay-tuh". And honestly, it just sounds strange for me to do any different. :)

#18 ·
Bet-Tuh for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
I say bet-tuh, and it sounds weird to me when people say bay-tah. Reminds me of 'beta' when it's pronounced like that. But I guess it's a tomato/tomatoe thing.

#30 ·
do i seem like a troll to people because i said that sphinx wasnt attractive? if i did im sorry and i dint mean it...

that "ihatebettas" guy or girl is really rude and someone should report her/him.

#31 ·
@bettalover. I don't think it was a "troll" thing for you to do, just something that probably shouldn't have been said. You DID apologize, and seem sincere in your apology, so I would say you are in no way a troll :) Have no fear. Just remember that a lot of people don't like it when their bettas, who they probably love a great deal, are insulted.

The best thing to do with trolls, aka ihatebettas, is to ignore them. When given no reaction, they tend to slink away, back into the swamps from whence they came.
Queen of hypocrites here, I rose to his/her challenge, and snapped back. I've been on the interwebz long enough to know better, and apologize xD From now on, I shall ignore him/her.

Edit: Sorry for the complete derailing of this topic! Sorry sorry sorry xD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.