Betta Fish Forum banner

Bullied female.

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  fightergirl2710 
#1 · (Edited)
Housing
What size is your tank? 10G
What temperature is your tank? 25-26c (stable)
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? sonority of 5 females (I know it should be 4, so sush :p) and 2 gay shrimps.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetra prima mini granules and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? mini granules in the morning and some bloodworms in the evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% once a week, sometimes 100% if I think the water is getting strange. (like once every 2-3 weeks)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?I just said.. oops :p
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? (parameters were fine I just didn't bother to note them) :p

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: near 0 :p
pH: 7ish
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins even more ripped :C
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't, I think I have 2 retarded bettas now...
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I thought she got slightly nibbed 2 days ago but I didn't check much, yesterday was my bday and I haven't been around to check the aquarium... When I checked she was beat up so I quickly removed her from the tank :p
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yeah, salt treatment for wounds 1tsp/g
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Huh.. I think 1 week ago when I went to my LFS she was one of the fishes that most died from illnesses and the others had fin rot (from 10-15 bettas only 2 survived) :p
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea, I would say from 1.5month to 3 months old (I have her for 4 days now)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this is possible but I think this poor female is being "bullied" or picked up from the other females, I mean, the aquarium is peaceful now, the others aren't biting eachother, just this one here... I don't know why :C

She came in with something weird on her eye, but with 2 days on the aquarium she recovered from whatever it was... Now her fins are all ripped, even more than it was when I got her and she is missing one of the ventrals.. I think if I didn't remove her yesterday maaybe she would have become a fish-food for the others... Kinda like what happened to Burd's sonority.

PS: I know you will say 2.5g per betta, but the last 3 females on the petshop were on the same tank as a male, who were attacking them, and my LFS wouldn't change him.. So I got the last female which is a dwarf :p.

See less See more
#4 ·
The dark patches at the end of her fins are natural? If not, she might just have fin rot, although she does seem like she's been roughed up... Maybe you should let her recuperate in some water+ aq salt for now with some nice worms for protein to grow those fins back :-D

#5 ·
it's her natural colour yes, she is red-blue'd coloured, quite nice actually.. I bought her with the fins ripped apart already, but wasn't as bad as this ;p

I'm treating her with salt and worms already, just wondering if that could randomly happen anyway.. also no idea how to reintroduce her back in a week time ;c

#6 ·
In sororities, the first couple of weeks can be pretty rough. It looks just like the others have decided she is the omega and as such their punching (and biting) bag. Give her time to recooperate and get back in fighting condition. Could we see a picture of your set up? If you don't have cover on all levels of the tank (top, middle and bottom), then you might want to add some and rearrange everything before adding just her once she is healthy. Then after giving her a few hours to explore and figure out the hiding spots, go ahead and add the other four either from meekest to most agressive or all at once.

#9 ·
You definitely should put in more hides and plants that reach the surface because that is where most bettas like to hang out. You don't want them to see each other up there easily ;-) Otherwise I think that is an awesome setup...

#11 ·
Hehehe! Maybe you could float some plants in there, that works too! I have some plastic tendrils floating in mine ^^

#13 ·
JK fish, sorry this is off topic but what is the plant in your avatar? I have the same one but it seems to be turning yellow and I can't help but think I screwed up while planting it. I couldn't google it because I don't know the actual name just the colloquial name -_-... Any tips on keeping it?

#14 ·
I have wisteria :) It's a great plant, but it needs a decent ammount of light. I've got mine in 2 wpg, but it'd probably do better with a wee bit more. If you just have gravel, I'd use plant tabs or switch to a substrate designed to give the plants the nutrients they need. I use fluorite, and it's great, but it was extremely messy and clouded up the water badly those first few days even though i rinsed it practically into oblivion.

#15 ·
Oooh thanks! Mine seems to have enough light (its fluorescent and white, I forgot the details and I threw away the packaging :p) but since I have it in just gravel.. No wonder >.< Lol! I'll get one of those bottles of fertilisers tomorrow so my plants will stop hating me! I have some amazon sword in there too.. It seems to be fine though. I plan to get more of it. Is wisteria a delicate plant?

#17 ·
Lol! Thanks for the info! I have a brown thumb myself! My sorority really needed some plants though... So I had to face it.
Sorry I hogged your thread sillycone, I'm done now C:

#18 ·
Sillycone, if finding tall plants is hard for you, consider buying fake silk plants from a craft store.

There are lots of plants that look pretty real- especially when you look for leaves- ones similar to palm leafs, perhaps.

If you do get them, make sure they are not scented, have none of that fake looking "pollen" crap on it and have no exposed metal (no metal is BEST!). Soak for a few days with some AQ salt (try a palmfull) and watch for color leeching.

Put them in the back and youre good! :D

#20 ·
You can also use those suction cup heater brackets to hold plants up higher on the back. If you stick them to the back of the tank, it won't look unsightly. I don't know if you have extras but some of my heaters are being held by just one bracket. You could steal one from your other tanks if they have two. :)

#21 ·
That is an awesome idea vaygirl! *goes off to try it!*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.