Betta Fish Forum banner

A little help here...

2K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Tikibirds 
#1 · (Edited)
I was talked into getting this pathetic blue CT tonight. I wasn't even sure he was gonna survive the 10 minute ride home.

If he is alive when I wake up, I would like to know the best way to treat him.

His cup was full of uneatten food and his fins that rotted off of him. :shock:
And he was having a very hard time trying to move his body up to reach the water level. He was kind of bent, like his back part couldn't move. Currently he is resting on the side of the cup with his head tilted up.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1G QT but its barely has an inch of water since he was really struggling to reach the water level
What temperature is your tank? 71
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? Not enough water in it to use a heater. I though about floating him in a cup, but I honestly was not sure he could survive being moved back into a cup again.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NA
How often do you feed your betta fish? NA

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? NA
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? NA
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: tested his walmart water and it turned as dark green as it could get...which is 8.0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fin rot BAD, kinda acts like he has SBD and had rapid gil and mouth movement. It has slowed down a bit since I got him. He frantically moves his fins but does not seem to go anywhere.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom and stress coat but I am not sure he actually has SBD or if there is something else going on. He looks like he has stress stripes but they are white.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Should I stay with epsom or switch to AQ Salt? Should I try and get him back into the cup to float him in a heated tank? I think trying to get him into the cup may finish him off - since a cup doesnt really fit into the 1 gallon. Plus then he would be floating in a tank with another male and that might stress him out too much. On the other hand, it supposed to be -20F today and its gonna get chilly in here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Tiki, that just doesn't look good, does it? Poor guy! He made it through the night? I'm amazed.

My advice is float him. He needs the warmth more than anything else and I don't know if he'd even notice another male around. As long as the other male can't jump into the cup.

He's so weak that you should be able to just use your hand to gently pick him up out of his water and lower him into the cup. He needs warmth. I don't know what level of epsom salts you're at but if you can, slowly bump it up to 3 tsps per gallon (use the 1 gallon premix method). Honestly, I don't know if he'd survive any medical treatment or if it would even help. My best advice is make him comfortable. If he drastically improves, then try the tetracycline on him.

Poor baby, I can see why John wanted you to rescue him. At the very least, he deserves to pass in clean water.

:( He reminds me of my Scooter.

#4 ·
If he is still alive, I'll float him in a cup. Last I checked on him, he wasn't breathing so hard anymore. Not sure if it was cause he was ready to die or if clean water helped.

#6 ·
I moved him into a cup and now he is back to rapid gill movement (or whatever that flappy thing is) and I don't think King Bumi Headbutting his cup is helping...

he is almost laying on his side.

#8 ·
Epsom probably won't help because he's too sick. :( Is his fin rot really bad, like large chunks of his fins are coming off? Are you finding bits of fin on the bottom of the tank? Epsom salts will help with the fin rot to some degree. Not as much as AQ salt but I'm concerned about internal bacterial infections and buildup of fluids in the organs. If that's his main problem, AQ salts would only make that part worse.

#9 ·
Aww poor guy :(

Epsom can sometimes take days to work- I'm afraid he has ammonia poisoning, which would explain the rapid breathing.

Unfortunately, I think the only thing that can help at this point is just clean water- Epsom won't hurt him, as it's gentle so you can continue that if you wish, but I'm not sure that will help any either.

If anything, AmQuel is recommended to use as conditioner when they have ammonia poisoning.

I wish you luck, and I hope he gets better.. keep us updated!

Sakura beat me :p

It does look like he has rot- but sometimes with ammonia poisoning you will see torn and jagged fins- possibility it's both?

#11 ·
Poor guy. I was wondering if his swimming issues were from ammonia. I know after a while their organs will shut down as does the nervous system.

His cup was full of floating stuff that I think were his fins that rotted away. The ones on the top of the body are almost completly gone.

he hasn;t improved any but he hasnt gotten any worse. Still lopsided, still rapid gill movement

#12 ·
Posting here too:
You need 2 1 gallon jugs, actually. If you can get them, do this: Fill first jug with 5 cups of dechlorinated water, add the dosage of medication (Maracyn II or Tetracycline), mix well. Now the ratio is 1/2 cup of medicated water to 1 gallon of tank water. So fill up the second jug to the top, dechlorinate, and then pour 1/2 cup of water from the 1st jug into the second jug. Now fill his cup with that. Repeat as necessary for water changes.

#16 ·
Aw poor little dude! But you know what? We're in the same boat! I just inherited a betta who is in almost the same condition, rescued from what I am certain was betta hell!

Sometimes it takes days to see any improvement, but it's not impossible. So long as he's warm, free from stress, and still showing signs of hope (eating the bloodworm is always good!), there's hope! I'm sending him positive vibes. Keep us up to date!

#17 ·
Good luck! He looks horrible...but thanks to you, at least hell have good care..My next betta will be the worst looking one! I think i have enough experience to try to raise a sick betta...but anyways, good luck to you and your survivor..

#18 ·
Normally I get the ones that need some TLC but usually its SBD or fin rot. missing fins, ever something this bad looking

But

he eats bloodworms and he was flaring up a storm at his "tankmate" who keep trying to reach his bloodworm, oblivious to the fact that squiggles is in a cup and he can not physically get to him or the food. But he is still lopsided and has rapid gill movement at times. He can swim straight for a second or two before he goes sideways again. Spine Injury? SBD? I haven;t seen him poop yet

#23 ·
warm water he has or as warm as it will stay. He's been chillin under the heater. Im guessing that spot is warmer. It's like -40F outside and barely 60 in here. He is in 1 tablespoon of epsom and its less then a gallon of water plus the maracyn 2. Should I try fasting?? he wasnt eating so i dont see how how he could be constipated...

#24 ·
You could do a day of fasting, with epsom treatment. Most sick bettas tend to stick to a high spot, that is warm, that they can linger. I've seen many sick bettas do the same... I've also seen many bettas with a poor heater in a large tank do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.