Betta Fish Forum banner

Do Bubblenests Actually Mean Happiness? Look Here for the Truth!

3K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  LebronTheBetta 
#1 ·
Do Bettas actually make bubblenests because they're happy?
Well, there are other reasons such as perfect water conditions, ready to breed, protecting territory, instinct, because they love you, etc.
The answer is no. They don't make bubblenests because they're happy. Nor perfect water conditions or because they love you and are very comfortable.

It's just their instinct. It just means they're ready to breed and claiming/protecting territory. Period. No happiness, no "Perfect" water conditions, just instinct. Bettas sometimes make them when they're sick even. But most of the time, they don't have the motivation under all the stress.

This is not an opinion BTW. It's fact. To sum it up, here are some quick questions and answers that you may ask about the nests are why.
. Why do Bettas make these bubblenests?
Bettas are aphrophils'. They are one of the many fish that make these nests for breeding and territory reasons.

. Do female Bettas make bubblenests?
Some do. Some don't. They usually make them when they're eggy but that's pretty uncommon. Maybe YOUR female Betta is one of them. ;)

. Why isn't my Betta making nests? Does s/he not feel it's territory?
Some Bettas don't even make 6 bubbles together, let alone a whole surface of them. Bettas are living species, and you can't make them make nests. The point is that some Bettas make them and some do not.

This is not a way to discourage or make any member feel bad, this is just fact. The truth is the truth and I'm sorry if you thought that it meant they were happy, it doesn't.

Feel free to post your Betta's bubblenest. :) We'd all love to see how your Betta is ready to breed, or protecting territory, or even just plain instinct. Post anything about these nests actually, feel free.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes so true my male rarely makes those nests and he lives in a heated filtered ten gallon. The pet store uses it to say small bowls that are cold unfiltered are okay it seems still water encourages mine just an observation. Bowl keepers think if there nearly dead fish makes a nest it is healthy I have heard of practically dead fish in pet stores bubble nesting.

#3 ·
Yes, they sometimes make them. I've heard this Betta had an extreme case of velvet and it nested. But it died. :'( Bubblenests just happen. But there are *some* assumes and guesses.

#4 ·
Different Bettas have different bubble nesting triggers some when they see a female some when healthy some randomly all after maturity never heard of females bubble nesting my male probably does not make them because a cut above his mouth do you think that is it he used to make them then stopped he is perfectly healthy bubble nesting only means they is alive.

#6 ·
Maybe... Yep. Females sometimes make nests, it's true. Sorry about your male. That might be the problem, can he still move it? Well, of course he can, he needs to eat. :roll:
My female, Bella, made this one today...tonight she is dropping eggs and feasting on them!
View attachment 63594
That's a BIG nest! Wow, Lebron's nests look so wimpy. :') Is she next to any boys?

#37 ·
My female, Bella, made this one today...tonight she is dropping eggs and feasting on them!
View attachment 63594

Yup..I have been noticing that too, at first the bubblenest started, and I wanted to post that..forgot..but both my females are dropping eggs, and eating them, but I noticed the nests first..and was wondering why a female would do that..didn't think they did:shock:

#7 · (Edited)
Wow thank you I thought females making nests were just males thought to be females but I was wrong can you believe some pets stores sell males as females. Nice female I love my female are those real or fake plants if so what kind. Yes have had him a while he is active and healthy I wonder if the scar is responsible for his aggression but he is lovely he loves his mixed diet. thank you for asking

#20 ·
Hmmm DQ, interesting theory! I knew when I saw her earlier today that she was packing eggs...but she didn't make a nest for them the last time. She is going to be fasting tomorrow, seeing as she is eating so many eggs tonight. I'm gonna hate doing her water change tomorrow and destroying all her work!

#21 ·
It's just their instinct. It just means they're ready to breed and claiming/protecting territory. Period. No happiness, no "Perfect" water conditions, just instinct. Bettas sometimes make them when they're sick even. But most of the time, they don't have the motivation under all the stress.

. Why do Bettas make these bubblenests?
Bettas are aphrophils'. They are one of the many fish that make these nests for breeding and territory reasons.

Feel free to post your Betta's bubblenest. :) We'd all love to see how your Betta is ready to breed, or protecting territory, or even just plain instinct. Post anything about these nests actually, feel free.
I'm a little confused. So a sick/dying fish will still make a bubblenest? Does this mean a sick/dying fish can breed?

Don't get me wrong, I am not one who thinks fish can be "happy" but I do think they can be stress free and healthy and thus exhibit behaviors proving such.

If bubblenests are not proof of a healthy stress free fish, then are there other behaviors that can tell us whether or not they are "happy"?

#22 ·
Not always, that was a rare case of nesting. Remember, it can also mean territory. It's rare because of how low the motivation is.
A "happy" fish to me is just a healthy fish. So if a fish seems all active and no signs of sickness, I presume it's healthy.

#25 ·
This tank does not exist anymore but this is one of the many gigantic nests my betta makes:

I also have video of the last one he made in the old tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPS_maUjOMg skip ahead to see the nest from side and top.

#29 ·
This tank does not exist anymore but this is one of the many gigantic nests my betta makes:

I also have video of the last one he made in the old tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPS_maUjOMg skip ahead to see the nest from side and top.
Beautiful tank!! He's alive, please tell me... It's HUGE. I'm even more jealous...

My male would build them high quality maybe knowing they are about to die maybe motivates them so they can help there species in a small bowl puddle instincts may kick in so they do not build P.S. i know they do not spend all year in puddles only a small amount and that is when the most die and they are found in huge bodies of water that are low in oxygen.
I know that, I didn't even mention about those puddles... That's a reason some of them die, they sometimes can't jump far enough. They are only temporary until they jump into a bigger one or rain sets in.

Instinct drives many animals to breed (or try to) even if it kills them. Such is the truth with fish as well as many mammals.
Well, I guess that's why. Humans also want to have kids if willingly before they die. I guess they want to keep the family line stable. ;-)
Yes but if that instinct were not there many more young would die and species would go extinct (faster).
Yep. What exactly are you trying to prove...?

#26 ·
My male would build them high quality maybe knowing they are about to die maybe motivates them so they can help there species in a small bowl puddle instincts may kick in so they do not build P.S. i know they do not spend all year in puddles only a small amount and that is when the most die and they are found in huge bodies of water that are low in oxygen.

#27 ·
Instinct drives many animals to breed (or try to) even if it kills them. Such is the truth with fish as well as many mammals.

#35 ·
This is so true! I saw some of the sorriest looking bettas in Meijer today and three of them had almost covered the surface of their cups with bubblenests. Bless their little hearts, they were trying to mark territory against the bettas in the cups next to them (or so I would assume). I felt so bad for the poor little guys... but alas, can't rescue all the bettas. :(

Anyway, great thread, lebron!

#36 ·
Shops really need to take better care of these Bettas! :mad: If the world knew the truth about the proper care of Bettas, I'm sure the "Bubblenests mean happiness!" wouldn't have been made. Thank you for the support. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.