Betta Fish Forum banner

My betta fish....we're new here!

817 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Shadyr 
#1 ·
Hi guys! I'm new here, but have been lurking for quite sometime. I love looking at the photos of everyone's fish and setups so I thought I'd start off by showing off my bettas. I have 12 girls and three guys. The sorrority is my pride and joy. I just love watching them. The girls are in a 20 gallon long and I've had it up and going for almost a year now. The two plakats each have their own five gallon and the crowntail has the 6.6 bookshelf tank. I collected almost all of the females from Walmart over a long period of time. I think three of them came from petsmart. I just tried to pick females with different colors.

Bad shot, but you can see a lot of them here! They are constantly on the move.

She's the largest of the girls and spends almost all day swimming back and forth across the front glass.

This next girl had no spots on her body when I got her, but it seems she may end up looking like the one above eventually...

Almost got all of them in this photo, excuse the light.

Now for the boys:
First is Star, he was labeled as a she so I got him for 2.00!

Next is Sky, he's rather shy with the camera but he's white dragon with hot pink fins.

Finally my crowntail who is nameless.

Sorry for the picture overload, hope you enjoyed them!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmm would you ever concider breeding them because for some reason in my tank it is breeding season for my Bettas and dwarf gouramis so perhaps it is breeding season for you I would take the betta who is female that you want for breed color then go down the scale with the plumpest female of that color then choose your male of which color you want or merge your colors and the resulting offspring will show both colors and also potential ancestry coloring to but be careful not to Breed more than 1 pair because you could run out of swim space when they are adults also good way to make some money by taking care of them until they are at least 3-4 of an inch that is sellable size also has anyone noticed that Walmart is selling there fish younger and younger each month pretty soon they are going to be fry lol
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
Thank you for the compliments on my sorority. The girls are extremely friendly and follow you wherever you are by the tank. There will be no breeding of betta fish in my near future, I don't have the time, money, or knowledge to do so. I'll enjoy the fish I have for now :)

#5 ·
All you have to do is introduce them put a half cut styrofoam cup at the water surface the male should make a bubble nest then you remove the female after the eggs are laid and the male should take care of the eggs until they hatch then remove him when the fry are free swimming then just feed them crushed or powdered flakes can make yourself from regular flakes and that is pretty much it ;) easy
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
I am slightly confused is this a brother/sister site for tropicalfishkeeping.com? Just noticed this is not usual site but I still have account and password here same as tropicalfishkeeping.com also same profile pic

#8 ·
I really enjoyed these pictures they are so pretty! I love the set up and the colors of your bettas. I dont think there is such a thing as too many pictures lol

#11 ·
What a lovely sorority you have going! I just got mine started at Christmas and I'm up to 5 girls in the tank and two in QT. Mine so far is random purchases of pretty gals from local chains too. Seeing yours makes me have hopes mine will work out, as I have read that you tend to get better results with sibling girls - but I don't know any local breeders, and the weather here is so variable I'd be terrified of trying to order them live.

Cole, yes - Bettafish is a associated site for tropicalfishkeeping.

I'm with the OP - I love my bettas, but breeding them takes a whole different and much higher level of time, equipment, and responsibility!

Reactions: Cole mccallister
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.