Betta Fish Forum banner

HELP! First water change.

646 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  vilmarisv 
#1 ·
So I'm freaking out because I'm doing my first full water change on Acheron's tank. :shock: So I have a few questions...

I tested the pH and added 2 drops of pH down for his water as his previous one I had added 2 drops. Still with those 2 drops my pH is is too high but I don't want to shock him with a too diferent pH level all of a sudden. Should I keep adding pH down the achieve an ideal level or just increase a drop per water change as I was planning?

I have Acheron currently in the pet store bowl while everything settles in his tank. I added about 25% of the new water to the bowl to start getting him used to the new water. How long should I wait to add more of the new water and to place him back in his tank?

Poor guy is so pale right now that I'm wanting to dump him in his tank :roll:

Thank you!

#4 ·
I second the notion to DROP THE BOTTLE OF "pH-Down"!!!!!! That's ACID you are putting into your aquarium! The little bit of improvement a lower pH MIGHT provide for your fish's environment is NOTHING when compared to the damage you are very likely to cause by introducing caustic chemicals into his water. If you have hard water, that stuff is NEVER going to have an effect, because the high pH is from mineral content.

#5 ·
I would agree, leave the pH alone. Bettas are strong and highly tolerant of pH. It would be much worse if it were fluctuating. And you're confident on how much to take out, and how often to clean, right?

I only put in the tap water+conditioner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.