Betta Fish Forum banner

Killed by the fluval chi

7K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  LunarBetta 
#1 ·
Hi

I spent a week on vacation and let my fishes alone at home cause I don't have any sitter. I was worried about the evaporation of the water and what troubles it could make. I was worry about the filter...Well, both of my fishes are DEAD. I found them stuck in the «pipe» used to let the power wire reach the filter!!! So, if you have a fluval chi, dont let the water level go low and watch if your fish tries to get into that spot. I dont even know if I was able to clean all fish part off that «tunnel»... I'm really disgusted and frustrated. It was awful to see my fishes in parts...:evil:

#4 ·
thanks for the tip, but my fishes got stuck in the part between the clip and the brown box. They got swallowed in the part wich is the top in that picture, between that «crack» and I found their body stuck in the «cylinder» part in the middle. I had to open all the filter (brown box) and took off the light to reach the power cord and move it forward to get the bodies out... So i don't think the sponge could help.:-(

Attachments

#5 ·
I was going to sell my Chi as I can't stand the blue light when I'm sleeping (the tank has to be in my room) and the blue light stays on even when the LED is turned off. So what I decided to do is keep the tank and get a different filter :)

That's what I would do! I love the Chi as it is tall and glass, but I hated the blue light and found the filter a tad annoying....

#20 ·
Poor little guys.. sorry you lost them..

Also would like to add, that even though it is always ideal to make your tank as safe as possible.. I don't believe your fish were killed by the Chi.
A lot of times when a fish dies they end up caught by the filter intake since the water is gently moving towards it.
I would look at other factors while you were gone-
Were the heaters working properly? Did you check to see if they were still at the correct temperature?
How big of a water change did you do before you left?
Did you have an automatic feeder?
Those plants look to be dying which could easily cause toxins in the water- you may want to remove the dying leaves quickly.
Were they in constant dark? Light?
What was the chemistry of the water when you got home?

I'm sorry you lost both boys, but honestly don't think it was the Chi, as a freak accident happening at the same time like that is not a coincidence. I would have to say there is another reason for both of them to of passed.

#21 ·
Myrates, you are right. I was thinking about that too. Only thing is Meve found the bodies in the pipe that connects the filter to the box, that is not the filter intake. But who knows, maybe it does suck in water because of vacuum and that's now they ended up there.

Also, the dying plants are mine. :) it's a crypt just about coming out of it's melting state.

#22 ·
Hmm... still interesting, and definitely something to take precautions about.

D'oh! lol I thought maybe a plant had rotted while Meve was away, sorry I got you two confused :)

#23 ·
Thanks for bringing that up. Unfortunatly, I dont answer at most of your questions. My plants were fine, even , they looked more healthy when I got back than when I left! They were bigger and got nicer colors. The temperature were a little colder in one tank. But I dOn't think tha tit happened suddenly. I left for a week and after reading few posts here, I decided to make them feast during that time. So the last time they ate was the morning I left and I gave them the same numbers of pellet as usual. The night before, I did a 50% water change since I did a 100% change 5 days before. Finally, I let the light of the aauqrium on all the time.

In my opinion, I think that the water evaporation killed them. The water level got too low and I guess the filter succion began to be too strong and got them stuck. It's my opinion...I had the lid on for one of the tank (the one made by Hagen for the Chi) but the evaporation was almost the same in both tank. Maybe 2 cm difference.

My third fish in is Fluval Spec was perfectly fine and is quite happy to be feed daily now! lol

Anyway thanks for your input, I will be vigilent in the future about the factors your brought up. But let me say, that I,m nervous to let the filter runs when I'm away now...:-(

#24 ·
I hear you meve, but I am confused. You found them in the pipe, right? Not in the filter. The filter sucks up water into the box, that's actually far from where the pipe is.

I don't know; I am confused. I have a feeling the only way a fish would end up there is if they swam into it. I just checked it again and even vacuum can be ruled out because it is open at the top. At the same time I find it hard to believe that both your fish decided to do it while you were away. So confusing.

There is a review on the Hagen blog where someone's fish swam into it twice while they were watching the fish so they could get the fish unstuck (it did take them stepping in to help, the fish couldn't get unstuck on its own) and the fish finally died when he swam in there when the owner wasn't watching. But that's the only reference of this I have found online.

#26 ·
Well it was the final end I thought about...I found the tail of one of them sticked to the black stripe where you should put the filter clip. It was stick on the «wall» , the end of the tail facing the exterior. So I thought it went trought the crack, not from the bottom. When I cleaned the pipe, I saw that the water could go under the light from that pipe by the clip. When I arrived I could hear the motor runs, but no water was going throught the top.

Anyway, I dont want to say that the Chi is a bad tank. I kept mine and I put back new fishes in it. I just wanted to warned people and it works because you helped me to fix it! ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.