Betta Fish Forum banner

Driftwood is black and scrubs off black gunk.

516 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bettafish15 
#1 ·
I bought a piece of driftwood from petsmart for my fish tank several months ago and it was already a black color and thought this was normal. Well I got my betta recently and he started developing fin rot. On another thread I received help in treating Bastien. It looks like his filter was completely covered and his tank was staying dirty even though I just put the filter in only two weeks prior. Well right before his quaratine process I put a new filter in. Took him out and completely cleaned out his tank, gravel and all. I'm starting to wonder if my drift wood could have been the reason my filter was clogging up. Because I was told to try cleaning it with an algae brush and it was coming off like black gunk. In some areas you can take black chunks off with your nail to reveal more black or on other areas on the bottom you can scrub and reveal a brown color. Is it salvage able or should I just dispose it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.