Betta Fish Forum banner

Help some thing in Tsuki's eyes

532 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mathkid 
#1 ·
today I saw that in my betta's eyes there where some whitish spots on top of his eye lens... it kinda looks like cataracts but im not sure.... is there anything i can do? will he go blind? BTW this just happened over night that was not in his eye yesterday... pls help im concern for his health

#2 ·
Hi tsukiowns,

Could you fill out as many of these questions as you can? If you have pictures, that's super helpful - if not, here's pictures of cloudy eye I'm treating on my fish - is that what yours looks like?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

#3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 10g divided in 2
What temperature is your tank? 78-75F
Does your tank have a filter? yes on both sides with buffer
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? another betta across the divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times 3 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%-20% alternating every other week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? fertilizer/ chlorine remover

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? eyes are clouded with a white spot on both
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 day ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no idk how
Does your fish have any history of being ill? tail bitting
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6-7 months

#4 ·
Bumping this thread for tsukiowns. If you don't get a response, go ahead and PM Sakura8 or Oldfishlady.

Is your fish doing better? If you can get a water test kit and test for ammonia/nitrites, that would be a good idea. Are the two sides of your tank separate (no water mixing)? If so, weekly 10-20% changes seems a little small. Does your other betta have any symptoms?

Until someone more experienced can give you advice, you can always try stepping up water changes. Clean water is always good - but do it gradually, you don't want your fish going into shock. If your tank is large, frequent water changes may be easier to do in a quarantine tank floating inside your main tank.

#5 ·
It sounds like some form of a bacterial infection- go ahead and QT him and start out on 1-2 tsp of AQ salt per gallon, dissolved, 100% daily water changes and see if that helps him out.. if by the 6th day and no improvement, up it to 2-3 tsp per gallon and let us know.. we may have to move to medication if there is no improvement by the 10th day.

Hope it helps him.. I know you care about him, and you are giving them good care.

From my knowledge, the cloudiness could be anything from flukes, to a drop suddenly in pH, to bacteria and fungal... so I'm recommending the AQ salt as that can cover a good range of eye problems, and if it continues then let us know and we can take the next step, if needed. The popping up overnight doesn't point to cataracts.. lets just hope the salt is enough to get him back to normal.

There a way you can get a picture of him?

#6 ·
well the water is being filtered both sided have filtration.. i did noticed that one eye cleared up completely but the other one is clouded so i will do that asap... thanks for the help and the bump you guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.