Betta Fish Forum banner

QT/Hospital Tank

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
Could someone give me some tips? Is it better to set one up just when you need it or better to have one running at all times?

Tank-Would a 5 gallon work?
Heater-Already have this.
Filter-Would a sponge filter be better? Anyone know of any good brands?
Air Stone, Hose, and Pump-Is it good to have this?
Other-Do I need substrate? Hiding Places? Plastic/Silk Plants?

Anything I missed?

Thank You!

#2 ·
A five gallon is a great hospital tank. IMO they should be bare bottom so you can clean them easily and also see the quality of the poop (indication of parasites, etc). An adjustable heater is a must.. I would do either a 25 or 50 watt. I don't filter my hospital tanks. Instead I opt for daily water changes (either full or partial). You should probably provide some hiding whether from plants or caves to make the fish feel secure. I also don't put any lights on a hospital tank.

#3 ·
Thanks! I knew about the having no lights. Do I need the air stuff?

#4 ·
If you do frequent water changes you really don't need aeration. The new water will have the oxygen in it. It probably wouldn't hurt but for a sick fish I prefer to have no flow whatsoever whether from a filter or airstone,etc.

#5 ·
Okay...Why does the heater need to be adjustable?

#6 ·
Because some illnesses are better treated with warmer water, some with cooler water. For instance when I'm treating my tail biters I bump up the temp to 82-84* to speed their metabolism which promotes faster regrowth.

#7 ·
Okay, thank you!

#11 ·
#12 ·
My mom used to tell me that the toothfairy steals our flashlights because she has trouble seeing in the dark. However, Santa uses other kid's flashlights before he gives it to them so he never steals. Funny thing is, I really believed this up to a certain age, haha. But we had a bad "where-the-heck-is-the-flashlight?!" deal for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.