Betta Fish Forum banner

Popeye, cottony white...

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lindseycat 
#1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? Gallon
What temperature is your tank? N/A, being heated but my room is on the cold side which is worrying me.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Open top
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? Usually 4 pellets once a day, changing to 2 twice a day to reduce rotting on bottom

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week always
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All of it

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Chlorine removal

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters N/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? One popeye, possibly cottony white around eye and face but might have always been there and I'm being overly observant. Doesn't look skinny or bloated. Scaling is normal, no fin or tail rot.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't, can't really find food but immediately looks for it and eats. He has always sad on/under his leaf on the bottom of his tank, swam around or floated in the corner near the surface. He has been both swimming and resting. Hasn't built a bubble nest though which he also does.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Popeye developed during the night, woke up to feed him around 9 on Friday, noticed it immediately.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I immediately went to Petco, who I no longer trust. They recommended Betta Revive. I also bought a new bowl to easier switch to clean water. Started the treatment and so far nothing has changed. I'm changing the water every morning and adding the proper amount of treatment.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him in late August but could not tell you exactly how long he was living before then.

I don't fully trust the treatment they gave me from the information I've gathered online. I know it takes time to tell whether something is effective but in a few days what should I be purchasing to try next? Thank you, I love my baby Galactus dearly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your on the right track with the 100% daily water changes....keep them up....the treatment I have found to work on popeye is Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 10 day treatment

Epsom salt 1tsp/gal for 3 days then increase Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal for 7 days along with 100% daily water changes

Pre-mix Epsom salt in a 1gal jug to make correct dosage and water changes easier-you want the fish to stay in the Epsom salt water-if you have IAL or dried Oak leaf add this to the pre-mix water jug-also be sure and add the correct amount of dechlorinator to the pre-mix jug of Epsom salt water

Treatment are best done in QT or a smaller container

You need a thermometer to monitor the water temp this is important
Maintain a water temp in the 76-78F area during treatment

You should start to see the edema decrease within 4-5 days usually if it was caught and treated early enough

You can usually find Epsom salt at most pharmacy dept-I have never seen it sold at pet shops

#3 ·
thanks

Epson salt seems to be the consensus. The eye is looking slightly better and he is still chipper but today I'll go out and start that treatment. Do you recommend continuing with the Betta Revive too, or would that overwhelm Galactus?
P.S- working on getting a better tank and gear for my babers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.