Betta Fish Forum banner

5 gallon tank - Filter Suggestions?

534 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Burd 
#1 ·
Yesterday, I found a listing on craigslist for two tanks for $20 - a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon. The 5 gallon came with the pebbles, filter, heater... just about everything you'd need for keeping a fishy in it. But I'm a tad worried about it so i'm hoping someone might have some insight.

It looks to be a used version of this:
A Marineland 5 Gallon

I cleaned it out with hot water and plugged in the filter that works over top of it to see if it ran alright. It started out noisily, then it 'regurgitated' a sludge comprised of what looks to be fish flakes onto the filter pad. I've been cleaning it out every few hours since because it just keeps finding more sludge. o_O

It also came with an additional filter - a whisper that's supposed to only filter 1-3 gallon tanks and is bubble driven, so that's not going to work, of course.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I might properly clean this guy out and make it work better. The flow is very light right now. I'd imagine it's still got gunk in it. I want to get this tank cycling so I can put Ralis in it and get him into a bigger home.

Also, does anyone else have one of these who knows a decent way to clean the tank itself? The hood/lid is a labyrinth to have to get into every time...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.