Betta Fish Forum banner

My First Fish

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
So I was thinking about getting a fish, and I started off browsing, planning to hit the three nearest pet stores I new about, both for education and price comparison purposes. I never made it to the third store. At the second store, there was this cart that had about a dozen cups on it and one of them was tipped over and leaking all over the table and one of the store workers was standing right next to it, not doing anything!

I picked up the cup and put it right, and then I started looking at all of them. They were, of course, bettas, and most of them were pretty lethargic looking, or had pale eyes, which I've read is not a good sign. There was this one deep red crowntail male that started swimming up and down when I picked up his cup. I put him down for about ten seconds, and then picked up his cup again and the next time I put him down was at the register.

No one has to tell me how ill-advised such an impulse was, I really wasn't the least bit prepared, but he seemed to have so much personality, I didn't want him to be another dull-eyed sluggard at the bottom of his cup! My only regret so far is the anxiety I've caused myself trying to provide a healthy and humane habitat for him. I love watching him go around in his tank, but I pray that I'm not misinterpreting stress for inquisitive antics.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a ten gallon tank that came with a free filter, a small heater, a rock with a hidey hole, gravel for the bottom and a curly bamboo. I thought the bamboo would be good but I read elsewhere on this site that it should be avoided, although I'm not sure why.

I wanted to get some other plants for him for hidey spots, but I didn't know which ones would suit my maintenance needs and I'm just a little wary of fake plants. That and I ran out of money x.x

I've also read that the water should be still for betta but considering I didn't give myself a chance to do proper set up for him I figured it was probably safer to make use of the filter. He seems to enjoy riding the current, anyway, he keeps going back up to it, but when I do get some plants I'll try to set up a baffle.

Oh, and a thermometer!

#5 ·
I just did about forty five minutes ago. I started his tank off with spring water since I don't know the condition of my tap water, but there's no where I can go at this time of night to get anything to test or treat the water. I'm crossing my fingers that he does alright till tomorrow evening when I can after work, and taking hope from how spunky he still seems flitting around the tank.

I was considering java moss and anubias since it seems to be they can do fine without additional fertilizer and left to float. At this point I can't wrap my head around the idea that fertilizers in the water would not harm the fish, all I can think about is all my life hearing about the poisonous run-off from farms and the like going into streams and lakes.

#6 ·
Bamboo tends to rot in the water. Make sure you keep the leaves above the water for it. Congrats on your betta. Would love to see the lucky guy!

#11 ·
Aquarium fertilizer is natural. It's pretty much various minerals diluted into water. It's not the chemical stuff they use for industrial growing that often contains pesticides and what not built into it. Also it's not as concentrated and you dont use so much in a small area.

#12 ·
Usually ideas/things that I'm uncomfortable with for no good reason I eventually get over, but for the sake of my tender beginnings I'm going to try with plants that can float without fertilizer, then add some when I feel better about it. Also, after I see if Toyo can survive any mishandling I might have unintentionally committed ><

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.