Betta Fish Forum banner

Submersible heater - best way of installation

847 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sjones 
#1 ·
Hi,
I just read in a thread on the mother forum (Tropical Fish Keeping) a suggestion to install submersible heaters horizontally to have better temperature control. Supposedly most heaters have their sensor in the upper part and by placing it vertically the reading might be slightly off, which might contribute to false readings and fluctuation in temperature.
Can anyone second that here in the Betta forum? I have two submersible heaters and when they were set to 78 to 80 degree the temp always went way up during the day. The setting is now just over 76 and seems to hold the temp pretty good at 78 to 82 in the course of the day.
If installing the heaters horizontally really is a better way of providing a stable environment, I will change the direction tomorrow during the weekly maintenance.
Thank you.

#2 ·
Hello! I'm new here, but hopefully can answer your question. I have 6 males (each in their own tank) and a 20 gal. sorority. I put all my heaters low in the tank horizontally under (or near) the filter. I started doing that so that I wouldn't have to worry about the heater getting dry during water changes & so that the heat would be dispersed more evenly throughout the tank.

HTH!

#3 ·
Thank you. I always unplugged the heaters during partial water changes. When I installed them vertically I only thought about easy access to the dial to adjust the temperature. Horizontally now make much more sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.