Betta Fish Forum banner

Getting worried- please help.

569 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Bettaluver4evr 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately, but I could really use some advice on this one...

So, when my doorbell rang at 8 a.m. this morning I was super excited to see that my long awaited AB gift had arrived a whole day early! I have skipped class all day today to monitor Diablo's acclimation and something is very wrong. I first noticed when he was in his little bag he was holding himself sideways but thought that was maybe just due to size constraints since the bag was SOOO tiny!

I have been acclimating him slowly- or so I thought? I gradually brought him into the light over about a 20 minute period. That may have been too fast? I then floated him in his tank (which is in the kitchen, fairly well lit, again maybe too much light too soon...) for about 30-40 minutes. Then I opened the bag, clipped him to the side of his tank(7.5 gal, 78 degrees w/ heater, ph and nitrate normal, tetra whisper filter). I added 1 teaspoon of tank water to his bag water ever 20 minutes. When it started to get pretty full, i would remove some of the bag water with a turkey baster and replace it with tank water- again, about a teaspoon worth. I stretched this process out for 6.5 hours. I read on a few sites that only an hour acclimation is required, and then some threads on here that some take a whole day. Maybe 6.5 hours was too fast?

I just released him into his tank, and he is giving me some super mixed signals. When he goes to the surface for air, he darts up so fast I am afraid he he going to launch out like a rocket! He is sooo fast!. He has been exploring and active. But he still holds himself tilted when he swims or hovers (looks like this-> \), and twice now I have caught him just laying on his side on the bottom of the tank! I panic and when he sees me get close he just snaps out of it and keeps swimming around or darts up for air again like a rocket. I turned off his filter because he seemed to be getting worked by it. More concerning to me is his rapid breathing that I have noticed since I unboxed him. It still seems very fast.

Does anyone have any suggestions!? I would be sooo appreciative...
I included a photo of him holding himself sideways.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like you acclimated him properly to both the chemistry and temp of your source water....this is really important for fish from overseas as well as from other states......

Since he came to you with buoyancy problems I would e-mail the seller and let them know and ask if he had this problem before of if any siblings have buoyancy problems as this can be a sign of poor rearing and/or genetic related

Good that he is still acting okay other than the mad rush and buoyancy...hopefully this will improve on its own once he adjust to his new environment.....I would turn off the tank light for at least 24h and even cover the tank with a towel or something since he is in a heavy traffic area and peek in on him on occasion

If he is still having buoyancy problems after 24h you may need to do an Epsom salt treatment...but I would give him some time first or if any other problems show up.....

Good luck....and nice looking fella...he is a looker.....

#3 ·
Thank you SO much for your reply OFL. I have dimmed the room and wrapped his tank with a towel. He actually seems to be a little better- not laying on the bottom any more. Still breathing hard. I will keep you posted!

#4 ·
Update: buoyancy issues seem to have resolved themselves over night. I was worried about him before I went to bed, he seemed to really be struggling. But this morning he has no problem staying upright and seems pretty playful and curious about his new home. Especially the filter current haha. His breathing is still a little more rapid than I would like, but hey I think he is starting to adjust well and I will take that! Thanks a ton for you help OFL. I was in panic mode...

#6 ·
Wow! I'm really sorry that happened! But it sounds like everything is okay now. He is so gorgeous! Love him. So glad he arrived, and is okay now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.