Betta Fish Forum banner

How many cory cats?

866 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  peachii 
#1 ·
I have a 10 gallon planted aquarium with ramshorn snails and one betta.

*the substrate is sand

How many peppered cory cats can i have?

And what water parameters do they need?

My tank is in the process of cycling, does this matter?

#2 ·
First of all, they are sensitive, and definitely should be put into an already cycled tank.

Second, I have 5 Cories in my 10 gallon, but I am overstocked with them. Really about 3 might be your maximum without overstocking. Though you also have snails. 3 Cories is the minimum that should be kept in a tank. So for everything together, you're gonna need to do big water changes. I do at least 50% every water change, sometimes more. And my Cories aren't adults yet. Some day they will be in a bigger tank, though. I just need space for it.

But yeah, you would need at least 3 but you would be pushing your stocking level.

Though people have varying opinions on stocking levels. My Cories are doing just fine the way they are and are active and healthy. I just have my shoal of 5 with my VT Betta boy.

#4 ·
Get pygmy cories - they are tiny and perfect for a 10 gallon. You can have 6 to 10 in a 10 gallon. They stay around an inch long and don't get as big as the regular cories and are just as fun to watch.

I'll have some by the end of the month and I am so excited!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.