Betta Fish Forum banner

Please help! I think it's SBD

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, this is my first post, so please bare with me. I've had bettas for years and never really had big problems. I just recently lost one of my oldest babies :cry:, I think he was close to 5 years old and I think he had farely good life.
I was wondering if someone could help me with my recent problems. My Snowflake stays at the bottom of the tank, kinda lays on the side most of the time. I used to have him in 3L condominium, but I guess water temperature was going up and down too much so his imune system got weak and he has fin rot and later he probably got SBD. I was using salt and couple of drops of aquarisol for a while everytime I made the water changes. I was always doing regular 100% water changes and I never had problems with my other bettas. I moved Snowy almost 2 weeks ago to 5gal heated tank and I keep temperature around 78. He is not constipated, his tummy looks normal, I gave him peas anyway to make it moving, just in case and he loved it as a treat. He has apetite an I keep feeding him little bit at the time and I mix pellets, flakes, shrimp. He is relatively happy fish, swims up for air, comes to say hi, still eats fine but can not swim like "old himself". I went to a pet store yesterday and they recommended Maracyn Plus. I gave him first dose yesterday. His fins are almost looking that they are growing back (even before I start medicated him) but he still lays on the bottom or on the plant leaves. I have a filter going but no carbon because of the medication (or should I add it and medicate with carbon in the filter?) I 've been checking the water and reading always is:
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Total hardness 0
total chlorine 0
total alkalinity 0
PH 6.8
Is there any way I can make him feel better and swim normal again? Thanx for help

See less See more
#2 ·
Based on your water params., your tank is not cycled. Stop doing 100% water changes because you're removing any ammonia source to let your good bacteria develop.

Keep your buddy as warm as possible and add some Aquarium salt based on the measurements on the package to your new water when you do water changes.

Make sure he has access to the top of the tank without struggling (maybe add a nice leafy silk plant that he can rest in near the top).

Are you using a good water conditioner when you change out the water? Take out any carbon while medicating and add it back when you're done so that you can remove any traces of meds.

#3 ·
Hi Romad
thanx for fast reply. I will stop changing water and let the good bacteria grow. I've been adding salt to water for some time now and I think that what's saved his life so far.
Snowy has a heater and I keep checking temperature with two thermometers and it stays stable 78 so far. I have two silk plants in the tank that he likes to snuggle up on and sleep and I also added glass vase (looks like cube) on the side so he has nice flat area to rest not too far from the top, so he can easily reach up for air. I even bought new conditioner couple of weeks ago for the water. I will finish maracyn treatment then I'll change some water and I will add the carbon to my filter. Hopefully that will help. I'll keep you posted. Anything else I can do? I fed him small amounts twice a day today (morning and evening). I know he could eat like a pig but I'm holding back. I feel sorry for a little fellow but I know I would do more damage if I did give him more. I'm just glad he still has an apetite. I'll keep you posted.

#5 ·
Snowflake is doing worse :eek:(

I got home this evening and poor Snowy was by the heater on the top, kinda holding himself on the suction cup that holds heater with his mouth out of the water. I was ready for second dose of medication. I tried it hoping it will make this better, but poor thing was getting worse. So I made quick decision and change some water (about 25%) luckily I had some treated water about 48 hours old ready. I have also added air bubbler and carbon to my filter. He seemed to get better a tiny bit, he went down under plant for a while but now he is back on top with his mouth sticking out of water supporting himself by the heater again. I also rised my plants so it gives him more resting places and I lowered the water level just to make it easier for him. I hope he will make it, I love the poor little buddy :-( Please help, is there anything I can do?
Thanx

#7 ·
Snowy is gasping for air on the top again. But I don't think he is in pain. He hangs behind filter holding himself on the suction cup again with his mouth out of the water. I've made water changes yesterday and today (about 25% each day) I'm not sure what else I can do. He seems to have hard time pooping but his tummy is not that big, I gave him only tiny bit of a shrimp today. Should I stop feeding him for a while? If so, how long for? I tried cooked pea, but it did not make much difference. Any ideas? Please?
Thanx

#8 ·
no change, please help

My betta is still the same. Still hanging on the bottom, kinda on the side. I've beek making 25% water changes every 2-3 days and I keep temperature stable at 80F. I know for sure it is SBD but I'm not sure how to treat it. I used maracyn but he seems to have a reaction to it so I stopped. He had some fin rot but it's growing back nicely. Only swimming is not improving. He still has an apetite which is good, so I've been feeding him flakes and small pellets and little bit of shrimp. Once every few days, i give him pea. His tummy seems regular shape and size and he goes to the bathroom now regurarly (it seems - can't believe I'm counting fish poo :-D)
Any idea how to make him better? He does not seem to suffer, he can not only swim like he used to.
Thanx

#10 · (Edited)
/me dons armor. It read to stop doing 100%, not discontinue any. I'd imagine full water changes every water change would become stressful for a sick fish if it's constantly being relocated.

Anyway, I have no idea how to treat swim bladder disease, but I know (or am pretty sure) Dramaqueen had a betta who endured SBD for several months and then recovered somehow. Since your fish doesn't seem to handle the medications very well, just continue with the aquarium salt which will help with the fin rot and keep him in a dark area; a dark towel wrapped around the tank will do.

#11 · (Edited)
Hello everybody
I thought I will fill you in on my betta - Snowflake. He is almost 100%!!!! I'm soooooooooo happy. So don't give up on your little friend. It took lots of patience. I was making regular 25% water changes twice a week, feeding him small amounts high protein food and daphnia to avoid possible constipation until his bathroom routine was very regular for a while. Then I did few days fasting again and it seems to work. I tried antibiotics and salt before - he had some negative reaction to those, but clean filtered water with regular temperature was all it took. He is happy fish again and saying hi to all betta lovers out there. :eek:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.