Betta Fish Forum banner

Hatching brine shrimp

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Luimeril 
#1 · (Edited)
I seem to be having some trouble hatching out eggs. Honestly I'm not sure if they're hatched or not!

I followed this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx9zTOnQ&feature=player_embedded

and the first time none hatched out. There was never a color change or eggs floating to the top after removing the air for a few minutes. I don't think I had it hot enough, and I definitely had too much salt. I measured for 2 litres of water instead of 1.

I'm on my second try now, and it's in my newly made fishroom (from my bathroom) and it's 80-84F in there. I measured everything out right this time. It's been 24 hours and there is still no color change.

The bbs eggs were given to me by a friend, in a zip lock bag. I'm reading that I'm supposed to keep them in the fridge? I've been keeping the eggs in my fishroom.

Should I wait longer to see if they hatch out, remove the air for 10 minutes now to see if they've hatched, or just buy new eggs?

Also I used aquarium salt (1 tbsp) b/c other than that all I have in iodized salt and I keep forgetting to buy a box of non

See less See more
#2 ·
How old are the eggs? I got a can from Kylie too but they never hatched so I just bought a new one.

#4 ·
Ya it was a bummer...$40 on a can from the IBC but they're the best I've ever used.

#5 ·
wait, can't your bettas eat sea monkeys? since they are brine shrimp, right? :O i remember when i was 7, i used to feed my betta sea monkeys i got at toys r us XD

#6 ·
Yup they can eat them. BBS is my favorite fry food.

#8 ·
If the eggs were taken right out out of freezer, they may take longer to hatch. If they have been out of the freezer for at least a few days, they usually hatch within the normal 24- 36 hours. Then again, it is not uncommon to get bad batches of brine shrimp eggs from pet stores that do not date their perishable items. I hope your newest batch has a better hatch rate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.