Betta Fish Forum banner

Actual supplies list

934 views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  tilli94 
#1 ·
So I've read and read and read all kinds of thing on spawns but the closer and closer I get to doing my own spawns the more I'm starting to doubt myself. So I figured I'd actually make an organized list by picking the brains of people who've done this before, you guys!
Here's what I have so far:
My pairs
2 30 gallon tanks (one divided for the daddies, one for a grow out tank)
1 20 gallon tank (sorority for the mamas)
Lots of tubing
Air pump
BBS
Hatchery
BBS net
Live plants
Bubble wrap for nest
IAL
Freeze dried bloodworms
I know there's more I need but reading through here there's so many options it makes my head spin, so id love your personal opinions on what works for you.
:-D
Thanks

#4 ·
I don't have any cultures yet but I have BBS and tetra bloodworms. I found a petsmart in a plaza here where I can get banana worms, and daphnia which I'll be doing closer to my spawns. I probably won't start my spawns for at least a month or 2 so they're ready to go closer to spring. I know what I'm going to be using for jars but I'm going to wait to see how many fry I get to buy those.

#5 ·
I don't suggest using the freeze-dried bloodworms if you can help it or have a particular reason to use them. They aren't very nutritious, I guess you could use them for conditioning but high quality foods plus frozen foods will be a lot better. So if you can get frozen bloodworms that will be better, live is always the best of course ^_^

#6 ·
Yeah. I know what you mean by waiting to see how many fish you have. Sometimes containers can be very costly and when you don't have to spend an extra 50 dollars on them you don't want to. I know I did at first until I found some free 32 oz containers.and you're so lucky that your petsmart has banana worms! I wish mine did. And I used to crush up the freeze dried worms and my fry loved them so I think you should keep them but some breeders have problems with them so watch out.but I do agree frozen foods work better sometimes. I would mix them up to make them smaller and my fry loved those aswell. I was always scared that they'd choke in them though because they are harder to crush up

#7 ·
Yeah I wouldn't do it all the time for sure, once or twice a week I think honestly since they do have issues with constipation and fish. But I can see where that would be useful at least for the protein as long as it's not every meal it should be fine then.

#9 ·
My pairs
2 30 gallon tanks (one divided for the daddies, one for a grow out tank)
1 20 gallon tank (sorority for the mamas)
Lots of tubing
Air pump
BBS
Hatchery
BBS net
Live plants
Bubble wrap for nest
IAL
Freeze dried bloodworms

when you get the air pump, get one rated for 60-100gallons (they are not very expensive if you buy form amazon, under 20 bucks). This way you can split the pump and have it connected to all the tanks and the bbs hatchery. Get control values (they sell it at petco) so you can control the rate of the bubbles in each exit.

Get air stones and sponge filters. unless you are using HOB filters for the bigger tank. But air stone is still good for water change, you can connect it to one end of the airline tube, and have that end in the tank. The frys wont get sucked up.

Things you also should get:
Turkey baster (cleaning tank)
worm cultures (frys won't eat freeze dry worms for weeks)
frozen blood worms (best for conditioning)
buckets for water change
jars for the males. I am not sure how much you can divide a 30 gal for the males, probably better to have jars ready.

#10 ·
K I have an air pump. How do I found out what it's rated for? I have airline splitters as well as a bucket. Definitely wont be feeding the bloodworms as actual food, just a treat like I do with my adults. I have omega one new life spectrum for my adults, should I switch to all live foods or just add live foods for every other meal?
So here my list of things I still need to get.
Turkey baster
Cultures in a few weeks
Bloodworms at the same time as cultures
The divided 30 will just be for my fathers of the spawns
Jars in a month or two

#15 ·
Daphnia is great I hear.

My fry don't get live food beyond infusoria when they're young. I feed decap bse and then frozen foods at first.
They get live black worms when they're about half an inch/can eat them when I cut them up.

If you have a petstore who sells reptiles you can usually get an ounce of live black worms for $3 or less, just keep them in the fridge when not feeding. These are what I used to condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.