Betta Fish Forum banner

White on tips on CT betta

776 views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  AyalaCookiejar 
#1 ·
I feel like a fishy hypochondriac, lol.
In all seriousness though I am not sure what I am dealing with here.
Could it be a fungus or new fin growth?
The white parts don't look fuzzy, but is it suppose to be obvious?
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One and Bloodworms, but he hasn't ate since I bought him Saturday.
How often do you feed your betta fish? I try twice daily.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 100% weekly, 50% mid-week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100 percent.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat & water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The tips of all his fins are white.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? His behavior has been the same.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8-12 months? I just bought him Saturday.

He is very skiddish, but I will attempt to take a picture.

#3 ·
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if he's had any damage to his fins in the past, like fin rot or something, when the fins start healing the new tissue is often clear or white. So if it doesn't look stringy or tattered, it might be that.

#5 ·
+1! You are correct!
His fins are more than likely healing now that he's in better conditions.
If he is acting normal and not eating I bet he's just getting used to his new home. Some fish can get anxiety from moving from a small cup (which is what they are probably used to all their lives) into a big tank. If he hasn't ate by next Saturday, then I'd start to worry

#4 ·
He's probably marbling, nothing to worry about. Unless his behavior changes the only difference in him will be his coloring, just keep an eye on him and post if anything unusual (compared to normal behavior) happens.

#8 ·
Is it like, spreading up his fins? It sounds like maybe he is marbling... My CT used to have a bright blue caudal/anal fin and now they are all red/pink with white/opaque tips. If its not fuzzy and does not seem to be whispy things hanging off the ends, it's probably not a huge deal.

I would continue to take pictures and watch for other symptoms. If it is marbling, it may happen quickly and you'll be glad to have pictures of the process :)

#11 ·
Yes, Bahari has white tips like your guy does. The blue on his tail kind of faded outwards to white and then to pink/red.

Your boy looks like he has that marble pattern and the white tips look to me like they are part of his fin rays and not anything growing off of them. He may change a little bit or he may change drastically. My Bahari lost his blue in less than a week.

#13 ·
Sorry you lost him :( It looks like you were doing everything right.. he may have just been sick when you brought him home.

#15 ·
I think that's the consensus. I just wish I had known so I could have tried to help him. :?

I am sorry for your loss :( that's very strange.

He had no strange behaviors or anything? Did he look different than yesterday? If they started to look like wispy things hanging off his tail fins, he may have been shedding his slime coat. If it was fungus, it would have been fuzzy. I don't think the white tips caused it... It was likely normal coloring or re growth if it didn't look fuzzy or whispy.

Did he ever eat? He was probably sick in the store... It may have been something internal because I don't see any alarming physical signs. What was his behavior like?

I'm assuming you still want to use that five gallon tank. I would disinfect it, with bleach/water just in case he did have something from the store. I'd also stay away from that store. How much stress coat and dechlorinator did you use? Stress coat is a dechlorinator so you don't need both.
He was acting strange today, but I really didn't think much of it honestly. Well, until he did a barrel roll... then I was like wtf. He did have stringy parts hanging off the ends of all his fins today, it looked like they were fraying, it was weird.

He never did eat, I tried twice a day. I just ordered food online yesterday, sigh.

I will disinfect it again, maybe that is what went wrong?? I used a bleach solution of 1:20 after my first betta passed, and let the tank air dry.

I followed the directions for the amount to use. I think this was 1/4 for 2.5 gallon (I only did a 50% water change) and 1.5tsp of the water conditioner.
I didn't realise that they were both a dechlorinator.

#14 ·
I am sorry for your loss :( that's very strange.

He had no strange behaviors or anything? Did he look different than yesterday? If they started to look like wispy things hanging off his tail fins, he may have been shedding his slime coat. If it was fungus, it would have been fuzzy. I don't think the white tips caused it... It was likely normal coloring or re growth if it didn't look fuzzy or whispy.

Did he ever eat? He was probably sick in the store... It may have been something internal because I don't see any alarming physical signs. What was his behavior like?

I'm assuming you still want to use that five gallon tank. I would disinfect it, with bleach/water just in case he did have something from the store. I'd also stay away from that store. How much stress coat and dechlorinator did you use? Stress coat is a dechlorinator so you don't need both.

#18 ·
You didn't do anything bad. Even with the water dechlorinator... Up to 5x the normal amount can be added without issues (Callistra might have more exact numbers). I see absolutely no flaws in anything YOU did. And you purchased him recently... Unfortunately, pet store bettas are almost never in good health or conditions and a majority of them are sick. Although some sicknesses are obvious and can be treated, others are not, and he had a sickness that was not obvious.

I can tell you I am 99.9% sure it wasn't something YOU did given the information you provided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.