Betta Fish Forum banner

New Kitten Woes

4K views 56 replies 11 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
First, my mistake. 6 weeks old. Forgot about the "minimum 8 weeks". The kitten was for Scott, my BF, who lost his 19 year old cat to old age. And they connected like there was no tomorrow!!

Lady said the kittens were vaccinated, and dewormed.

First day, did not poop or eat. But, hey, new home! Stress for cats and kittens alike to move to a new place.

Second day, one strained poop - normal looking, no worms, no discoloration.

Today... Well... She had an issue with a very temporary (under 2-4 hours) prolapsed anus. For those unknowing to that term, it means the internal parts of the bottom come out! It is not as dangerous as rectal prolapse which is an immediate "TO THE VET!"

Asked the lady about it, she said she would deal with it tomorrow, ask her vet, and get her in ASAP... Then she said to push it back in myself. I already looked it up. That is how I knew what it was (yucky sight!), and what NOT TO DO AND WHAT TO DO.

I asked an actual vet assistant. AKA my brother's girlfriend. Her mom is also a Persian cat breeder. The one bottle (as shown on the left) IS STERILIZED WATER used to mix the powder substance in bottle B, on the right.

And again for those who do not know... Those little bottles, the vet does not give you (which she uses a vet, but did the vaccine herself). That is how we know she did it herself.

BIG SLAP IN THE FACE PROBLEM.

The vaccine... HAS NOT BEEN PUNCTURED. You take a needle to the top of the lid, to add the water, then you shake it up so it is a mixed dark pink, then you use a syringe needle to remove it, and vaccinate the cat. The small amount of vaccine left in there, is light pink. The lid seal is also broken.

ANOTHER LARGER SLAP IN THE FACE PROBLEM.

That bottle... Is made for 12 months and older. Give it to a kitten and they will die within 24 hours or less. So no, the kitten was not vaccinated.

And as an added measure... The "fancy natural food" she gave us in a bag, is Iams. Not natural. Not fancy. Actually it is one of the leading foods that causes constipation and upset tummies. Luckily I prefer Whiskas, which we have the kitty formula (and left over from adult), also got wet foods (bi-product free) and I was recommended to give gravy to her, due to the low iron levels (causes pale gums). Luckily, she drinks water. GOOD.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
This is why you don't purchase from people who are willing to sell kittens at a such an early age. They are usually dodgy as all get out.

I would probably take the kitten to a vet to get a thorough check-up anyway. I would want to know what was going on to make the anus prolapse (to be honest that would have sent me to the vet anyway) and to make sure that it was in good health.

Also do you mean whiskas cat food as in the purple packet whiskas (that's what we get here). If so that's a pretty awful food. On par or worse than IAMs in my opinion. I would be looking at a better brand or just a very bland diet at the moment if the kitten is suffering stomach upsets.

#4 ·
Actually we've never had issues with it. All our cats used it no problems. She acts just fine anyways asides the discomfort she had when it prolapsed.

I've already talked to Joni about her that's how I know what to do. Be ause she was fed tuna and rice (tuna long term causes issues and rice overall is a stupid idea) by the lady, it's causing stuff to back up.

As for her selling them... I paid a small amount because here "free" goes to DOG RINGS. Everyone has been told to STOP giving away and ask a small fee to weed out the baddies.

#5 ·
I will say the wet food choice is Fancy Feast. No biproducts. I've given dry food of either fancy feast or something similar and it gives cats the runs! Friskies makes smelly poos. So I've found what works best.

#6 ·
whiskas is definitely just as bad, if not worse than Iams. Quality cat foods that are byproduct free are brands like Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo

Wellness also has a grainfree line called Core if you want to get really fancy.

Wellness also has SO MANY different excellent wetfoods. just because Fancy Feast has fancy in the name, doesnt mean its all that good.

No by products, but what about corn? grain? artificial colors?

#7 ·
Sorry you've had issues. The first thing I always do regardless of where I get my dogs is take them to my own vet for a thorough check up & shots, it makes me feel better when my vet says they're healthy & if they're not advises me how to treat. My eldest dog was from a rescue group, the 1st time she went to my vet they were not happy with her condition, that was 14 yrs ago. Anyways I hope all goes well from here on out for your kitty.

#8 ·
Shellieca, that's why I had Joni look her over :) I was told what to give her for iron (as she lacks it thanks to the dumb woman...).

#9 ·
We also have a new kitten, Shadow, 7wks old. At first, she didn't eat well. We gave her kitten milk and then she just took off on regular canned food- feeding Friskies shredded at the moment. We mostly just give her soft foods, but are trying to get her to eat dry by putting cat gravy from pet store on it. She ate it fairly well last night. She is a very happy, active little girl, not afraid of anything. Hops and chases anything she can find to smack around. Not climbing too much yet, but give her time. Her favorite toy seems to be attacking hands. She is not afraid of my 2 dogs, and hopefully Shadow and Princess, our adult cat will become friends one day. Shadow gets to visit her "grandma", my mom,and play in 2 houses. Sorry you had trouble with your new baby, hope she does better for you.

Here is our Shadow, cat in background is mom's Garfield. He doesn't appreciate the baby at all.

Attachments

#10 ·
Does the kitten have fleas? Fleas can make them anemic and cause the pale gums. The vet I went to gave Shadow a half dose of flea drops, said to give her the rest next week. Ask a vet about what kind of flea stuff might be safe for the kitten. As for the food we give our cats, they get whatever we can get at the time, no particular type is a favorite. We are a little more careful what we give the kitten. Canned cat milk would be a good thing for the baby, ours needed it for the first day, after that no problem.

#11 ·
Nope no fleas! :) luckily here fleas are pretty rare... Usually bird ticks, and bull ticks - which with bull ticksthey are big and usually found on farms with lots of fields.

She's doing better now, pooped yesterday... A bit "wet" but better than the diarrhea the poor thing had before.

#12 ·
Pumpkin can help firm up stools. We use it on our old cat who sometimes gets diarrhoea and it does seem to make a difference. I use a brand of food that has pumpkin in it, but plain old pumpkin or baby food pumpkin will work.

If you are using fancy feast, try and find the ones that have no cereals/grains in them. We use fancy feast on our outdoor cat simply because the cost of feeding wellness tin here to four cats is expensive, and I know there are fancy feast flavours that are better than the others.

#13 ·
Does plain pumpkin puree work? I have that (also given to Jim).

I noticed with the fancy feast she did not like the chicken.. Likes the fish one though :lol: have not tried the turkey one yet...

I also checked food for dogs. I'm going PC brand (Superstore) for my dog as even the "good stuff" is JUNK. I went with the least junky of the junk. Cats food is the same way. :roll: it's so pathetic. Neither animal should have "corn" yet most hae it, also wheat (some animals are allergic), and rice for cats is not good either.

#14 ·
You don't have something like a Costco near you do you? Based on what I have seen Americans posting (not sure if the same supply in Canada) there is a brand of dog food that Costco sells that is basically the same as one of the higher end brands.

I hate how all the crap pet foods get great air time and advertising and are almost always pushed by vets when the really good stuff can be as hard to find as hen's teeth in places. Some of the foods sold like Beneful are so bad they make you wince when you read their ingredients.

We used to have our previous dogs on Iams and since we started ours on Eagle Pack Holistic the difference in their coats and stools is really noticeable.

There's no way you can do a sort of bulk buy of food from somewhere and have it sent to you is there? No oddball stock and feed type stores that may sell more quality brands?

Plain pumpkin puree should work. Our dog had really bad diarrhoea (he ate our other dog's higher protein food) and after a feed or two of pumpkin it really cleared up.

#15 ·
We buy President's Choice for our dogs. It's no corn, wheat, soy, by products, or artificial preservatives. They have brown rice, oatmeal, and barley in it. I don't know how much it costs but if my cheapo dad is willing to buy it to feed our two 80lb dogs I don't think it's that bad. The chicken and rice one has chicken meal as the first ingredient. Which I think is better but I guess people argue that.

I just realized this is your kitten thread not your dog thread. Sorry, haha. But I'll leave it up for you. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
LittleBettaFish, for Costco we need a membership which is money wasted since it's in the bsuy part of Edmonton x.x We have: Walmart, Superstore, Global Pet Foods, Petsgo Pets, Safeway, Co-op, Sobeys.

The feed stores so to speak are for farms mainly. Or mini-stores run as a mom and pop shop.

Olympia, actually, you are right about the PC brand - it's why my mom buys it. CHEAP with REAL ingredients you can pronounce! Expensive brands are full of junk. Who needs sugar, bi-products, wheat, corn etc in dog food??? Blech.

Though as a treat Global Pet Foods has meats for dogs, frozen and refrigerated. From whole on bone, boneless, and bones ground in. TOP quality only too.

#18 ·
I suppose you can always supplement the diet if it's not 100% what you want with additional products.

We feed our dogs dry and then on top of that they get turkey mince or salmon along with flaxseed oil and from time to time some cottage cheese. Our cats get dry/tin but then they sometimes get cooked up chicken breast (my mum is a massive freezer hoarder of these) or mince meat on top.

Chicken necks and wings are good for cats as well. Helps with their teeth, and chicken carcasses and things like that are good for dogs and not very expensive at all.

#19 ·
More pictures! Overall, she has started to "walk like a cat". By that I mean, she's more graceful. Well, not when she tumbles over, falls over, slips off the edge while sleeping or anything... :lol:

Attachments

#21 ·
:lol: Well to be honest, I'm happy we have had no more issues with her.

Currently though I am seriously contemplating telling a mod to remove my threads or lock them. I am done with being criticized. Being told I am horrible for a "just in case" back up plan? Ridiculous. Sorry I am not spending thousands of dollars on my pets. If I could, dang rights I would! But we all do what WE think is best, not what "Sir Blabsalot" thinks.

#22 ·
You have to remember that like with keeping bettas, people have different attitudes towards what is acceptable/responsible pet care.

My dad for example has plenty of savings but is a tight wad when it comes to animals. He feeds crappy food, does no vet care and has a very low monetary limit if something goes wrong.

My mum on the other hand feeds good food, takes all of our animals regularly to the vets and is more than willing to pay for vet bills. We are looking at the $10,000 mark if our HD dog requires hip replacement surgery and she is more than willing to pay that for a dog that will never be anything more than a pet.

I might not agree with all of your pet keeping practices but I do find getting hostile does nothing to change anyone's minds.

#23 ·
The thing is... When I ask for help, I don't ask for bull. I talked to a very smart vet assistant who gave me everything I needed to keep the kitty healthy, and get her healthier. She'll also deworm and vaccinate her when the kitten is of the proper age. Our vets are not the best here... The best one is a "we'll see the condition before we even mentioned "euthanasia"" and it costs a pretty penny... :lol: But worth it for the love that you feel when you walk in the door. It's where kitty and doggy will go for vet check ups and spaying.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But keep things to opinions, not pushy "you're stupid and wrong" attitudes. Which, is what I like about YOU since you don't at that way (most who have are blocked and I avoid replying to). I don't post lovely pictures to be yelled at. If I wanted that I'd go to yahoo answers :lol:

#24 ·
Well I think having grown up with both sides of the pet keeping coin I know that there are some things worth speaking up about and other things where compromise can be found.

It isn't going to kill my dad's dog if he lives on crap food his whole life. However, I definitely let him know I don't like that he doesn't see a vet and that he doesn't see the point in spending more money than the animal was purchased for in treatment.

#26 ·
LBF I think dogs should have an annual check up. "'Cause you never know!" lol. Cats, probably not as much... Maybe, depending. Most of our cats went a few times but were always super healthy.

Olympia, it does xD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.