Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

It's official! Walter x Velvet VT Spawn Log

5K views 132 replies 14 participants last post by  lvandert 
#1 ·
I know I said the other one would be a log but it turned out to be more of a Q&A of pre-spawning things so here's the official one :D
Well I don't have eggs yet but I'm sure they're on their way. Within a half hour or releasing the female they had embraced twice! It's been about an hour now. They're still just practicing but they seem to be getting it down. Although Walter gets mad if she's not under the bubble nest :/ Velvet is very submissive and does her little wiggle every time he comes near. She has come up to the bubble nest and rubbed him but he's not a mushy bear, yet, so every once in a while he chases her. She's got some rips in her fins and I saw one scale fall but I'm not to worried yet. At the moment Velvet is hiding and Walter is working on the bubble nest. I have to be to work in an hour, but I think they'll be ok at this point.

#3 ·
Gotta new thread to stalk! Good luck! :D

#4 ·
Oh, on your other thread you said something about a dumbo gene. What is that?

#5 ·
i have eggs! just over an hour into the spawn too! The first few fell, I'm hoping the male will pick the rest up.

#9 ·
I just got home from work and it looks like the deed is done already :eek: Velvet is staying far away and pretty much sticking to one corner. Walter is endlessly tending the nest. At first I didn't see any eggs but when He was rearranging I saw two clumps of 4-5 each, and then he sucked both of them up and spit them back into the nest

#10 ·
She's still got eggs, and drops some every once in a while, but Walter wont let her any where near the nest so I took her out.

#12 ·
Yup these are from the pet store and they are VT people, hey I got to start some where :D Good luck to you. I'm a supper proud betta mom right now. Even if all of the eggs didn't get squeezed out of her I think I still have plenty.

#13 ·
Squee moment! Walter has an egg stuck to his head! or at least I think its an egg, It wasn't there earlier and its about the size/color of an egg... I wish my camera didn't need to recharge. It's so cute. That and I want a pic of my proud papa

#14 ·
Ok I squeezed enough battery power out to take a few more pics. The first is just of the eggs. Don't ask how I got that good of a picture because I still dont know...lol and the second is of my proud papa, with an egg (I think it broke though) on his head

Attachments

#17 ·
:D I know I love the egg on his head. Is it just me or did they breed really fast? They were done in 4 or 5 hours, from first letting her out and her hiding in the corner. Maybe just a good bout of conditioning? On a side note Velvet's fins are already looking better! The rips on her anal fin seem to have stitched themselves back together overnight. I hadn't even started treating her yet, I just put her back in her old bowl...I plan on giving her some medicated water today once I get home. I put one drop of melafix into a gallon of water, along with conditioner, stress coat, and about a half tsp of aquarium salt.

#19 ·
VTs throw interesting color mixes due to their genetics. Maybe you'll start a line of purebred VTs :) I want to but I'm going to focus on my show fish first.

#20 ·
I just got the 20 gal, grow out tank set up. There's a moss ball, three amazon swords and two fake soft plants. I'm going to start at half full and then add a gallon every day by the slow drip method. Walter seems to have gone a little lax on the bubble nest but he still checks it every couple mins so I'm going to leave him alone. When I shine a good light on the nest I still see some eggs so I think I'm good.

Attachments

#22 ·
Thanks tpocicat! I now have a bushy mass of soft plastic plants that I hope will keep the fighting down when the fry grow big and strong. I also got two more silk plants to go in my grow out tank because they were on super clearance :D (8.99 plants for 2 bucks!)

Attachments

#23 ·
Ok so here is the grow out tank. I'm almost done with it. I want to make a moss/grass wall for one of the sides, but it wont be "full" until I get bunches of grass growing. I think I want to do dwarfs grass with it for length and fluff. What do you guys think? Good grow out tank so far?

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
How big is the tank? Sorry if it's somewhere else in the thread.

Edit: For your first spawn you most likely won't raise over 100 bettas so the 20 gallon should be fine.

Well it's a bit much but then again my grow outs are bare other than heaters.

#25 ·
20 gallon, half full at the moment. I'm going to do that drip method and add a gallon a day once the babes get in there

#26 ·
I'd move the heater to the bottom of the tank then, since it's sticking out of the water like that it may be a problem if it evaporates too fast and burns.

#27 ·
I can't. It's an older one that has the coils on the bottom and a "water line" mark on the top (IE dont let the water go above here), so the top isn't sealed is what I'm guessing at. I made sure all of the coils were under the water though. I have a similar one just like this in my 5 gal and its working fine. I haven't plugged it in and tested it yet I was going to do that tomorrow when I'm home and can watch the temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.