Betta Fish Forum banner

Planted Tank Show and Tell!!

612K views 3K replies 499 participants last post by  Dobby 
#1 ·
Lately I have noticed a lot of people showing off their planted tanks, figured it might be a good idea to have them all in one place.
Also, I am trying to get some ideas for rescaping my 26 bowfront sorority. I'd love to see everyone else's tanks and find out what all you have going on with them!

Reactions: mjfa
#2 ·

Two months ago.

Current.

Much harder to photograph now that the water lettuce has taken over. In real life it looks so much more amazing.

I personally love the overgrown look, and feel as though they are the best for a sorority (though this contains only a male and some ghost shrimp) as then everyone can find their own space. However, the fish can be hard to find. Even my giant here disappears, and goodness knows I only find the shrimp if I really stir stuff up or put some good food in the tank.

#1,172 ·
I love the look of your tank. For me, the more plants the better. (Allowing for space for the fish!) 17 tanks of my are planted. I wish I had a decent camera to attach photos of mine. Maybe one day!

Two months ago.

Current.

Much harder to photograph now that the water lettuce has taken over. In real life it looks so much more amazing.

I personally love the overgrown look, and feel as though they are the best for a sorority (though this contains only a male and some ghost shrimp) as then everyone can find their own space. However, the fish can be hard to find. Even my giant here disappears, and goodness knows I only find the shrimp if I really stir stuff up or put some good food in the tank.

#5 ·
This doesn't have to be NOT style, just show off your plants :)

Come on guys! Let get this thread going!

#6 ·
Lovely tanks everybody! ^.^

After a bit of a tweaking with stem placement (I was silly and hadn't thought about where I was going to put the rest of the plants I wanted)

Ze tank that is waiting for its future occupant to be sent to me, hehe:

Weehawk's tank:

Side of Weehawk's tank:

Feyd's tank:

Side of Feyd's tank:

Also, I have a question for you planted tank enthusiasts... I'd absolutely love some pearl grass in my tanks. I'm not sure what kind of light I have to be honest, whether it's low or medium. I'm running 3 x 6400K LED tubes on each tank, equating to 3.75 watts per gallon... Is that enough light for that? Eep!

#2,542 ·
Lovely tanks everybody! ^.^

After a bit of a tweaking with stem placement (I was silly and hadn't thought about where I was going to put the rest of the plants I wanted)

Ze tank that is waiting for its future occupant to be sent to me, hehe:

Weehawk's tank:

Side of Weehawk's tank:

Feyd's tank:

Side of Feyd's tank:

Also, I have a question for you planted tank enthusiasts... I'd absolutely love some pearl grass in my tanks. I'm not sure what kind of light I have to be honest, whether it's low or medium. I'm running 3 x 6400K LED tubes on each tank, equating to 3.75 watts per gallon... Is that enough light for that? Eep!
Love them!

#7 ·
That should be more than enough light for them! I think they are moderate to high light plants

#9 · (Edited)
They don't look very bright in the pics, do they? I hate taking photos with a high ISO and my camera is not too forgiving... Though I will concede that they're not the brightest tanks in the world, lol. I'd still be happy with leggy small plants in the midground of one or two of 'em. XD Worst that can happen is I waste a few dollars and some time, I suppose. :D

Cheers for the info. XD

EDIT: Oooh ooh I has another question!! One of my bacopa stems has turned pinkish at the top. What does that mean? A deficiency maybe? I don't knowwww! D:

#16 ·
Aluka, your 10 gallon is absolutely gorgeous!!!

#17 · (Edited)
What is a chocolat neo and cherry colony? those tanks are awesome but whats in them!?!?
OH their shrimp!!! how cool!!! can you get any close-ups? You know what ive always wanted? one of htose egg shpaed things and its got 2 little shrimp in it that are superrrrrrr tiny, and its got like everyhting they need in it, like literally a cycle little habibat thats 2 inches tall and 2 inches wide... its so cool, i wonder if you cracked the glass open and put the little shrimps in a tnak if they;d get real big and live a long time or just die :/

#24 ·
Go to the main site, tropicalfishkeeping.com and in their classifieds section is a post by knuggs, he is selling red cherries for a dollar a piece. Pretty much the cheapest you'll find them.
Also you can check out aquabids invert section

#22 ·
You can order them online, but i brought them at a local aquarium club meeting, lol Boston aquarium society. You should see if your state has one, club members like to trade/give away/sell cheap plants and fishies and shrimps, tanks, etc =)! And you can get tons of advice on everything fish related!

#27 ·
I think shipping was about 6.80? But I think it also depends on your location in association to his, I'm only a state away.

The price of the shrimp really makes shipping worth it. At my LFS they cost $4.99 a piece and thats the only place in my area I am able to find them.

Anyways, Figured it was about time I shared a couple of my tanks! might add a couple updates and another one after rearranging a bit tomorrow afternoon :)

My .75 RCS QT

And my 26 bowfront. I'm hoping to change the gravel out ASAP (whenever I have some spare time to get to the store) for soil and sand. But Im planning to atleast rearrange plants tomorrow.
Sorry for the foggyness, treated with maracyn plus right before I took this. And the net and the little tank floating in there arent usually there....just temp things

#30 ·
Finally got some new plants and re-scaped my three 2.5g tanks. Wow, it took a long time getting everything right, I worry with a small-ish tank that it's too crowded.

I had the anubias already but unpotted them and added some Swords and a Christmas moss pod. I plucked a couple branches from the moss and made new pods for the other tanks.

Attachments

#32 ·
This is technically a planted tank since it's planted, it's a tank and there's some water.

It is an experiment of sorts. The java fern has been emersed for a week or so now and is doing fine. My mini bolbitis melted ages ago and is what you see in the foreground. Other plants are standard java, narrow leaf java, mini java, anubias nana, crypt 'lutea' (I think) and giant duckweed.

Java ferns seem to be coping fine with daily mistings and the crypts are sending new leaves off everywhere. Hoping if this is successful, when I have money again I will set-up an emersed bowl with seiryu rock and chuck in some stem plants as well as a couple of these:

http://www.bonsaioutlet.com/chinese-mudman-figurine-ceramic-crane-mm237/

Forgot to add I chucked this together last night using what I had on hand. It's a 20x20x20cm tank. Substrate is miracle-gro under sand.

#34 ·
Haha I used to have tons of anubias and even though I couldn't use it in an aquarium I just couldn't bring myself to sell it all. Same with my mini java fern as it cost heaps when I got it.

My poor bolbitis threw some new leaves when I had it emersed in my 2ft tank which is where the rest of the anubias is but the leaves quickly browned off even with the mistings. So I am hoping that it will grow submerged a bit better.

I want to do a sort of rainforest feel. Thinking of adding some downoi, hairgrass HC and more moss in the hopefully not so distant future.