Betta Fish Forum banner

My fish tries to attack his reflection

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  tiffanylucky 
#1 ·
I bought my second betta fish yesterday and put him in a 1 gallon tank next to my older fishes tank. Whenever he catches a glimpse of his reflection he will continuously stare and flare his beard. Sometimes when he's in the middle he will swim right on over to the side bopping him in the mouth. It doesn't damage him but I'm concerned. Sometimes he will look through his tank at my other fish when they are at the same level. He will show his beard (I think it's called flaring but I forgot sorry:lol:). I've read that this can cause stress (reflection) and was wondering what I could do to prevent it. I recently lost a fish do to fin rot and am very paranoid and check in on them frequently (5-7 times a day). Will his reflection cause stress or will my frequent check ins make him scared?

Ps: I'm new to bettafish.com and from now on will be referring my fish by their names. My new fish is Rufus- a male. And Katniss- female

#3 ·
sorry hit enter when I wasn't finished typing. My battas do the same thing I have found that when I leave the light in my room on and tank light on they can't see the reflection on the tank. I have 2 as well one male and one female whom I spoil thanks to this website. Also, I found that if I play with them it helps as well. I like making them do tricks for a blood worm or to bit my finger which doesn't hurt. My bettas will start hunting and planning how high and where to jump to get the food.

#4 ·
I do this every day to make sure they don't get board and start tail biting.

#5 ·
Thank you, Since I spoil them also, they will have 1 or 2 bloodworms a day so when they see me giving them one they wont really do any tricks just come up at the top of the tank. Do you know of any other treats I could give them since they arw so used to bloodworms?

#6 ·
Don't drop the blood worms in the water, make them work for it by just holding it over the water and making them jump for it, just make sure you show your bettas that the food is in jumping range. My bettas really get into the game by staking the food it's really fun to watch. Also don't do this unless the tank has a lid or that glad press and seal stuff with holes over it so your betta will not jump out of the tank. Do you keep your bettas tanks right by each other? I do because they love to flare at each other and it doesn't stress them out. Also you could get betta pellets those can. E used as well. You want to feed your bettas the same thing all the time. I have blood worms, betta flacks and betta pellets for mine. Put a Ping pong ball in the tank, bettas love to play with those.

#7 ·
Don't feed your bettas the same thing. Sorry typo

#8 ·
Also if it's a glass tank, draw on it with dry erase marker. Bettas go crazy over that

#10 ·
Also put shiny stuff around the tanks they love that

#11 ·
What fish do you have in your other tank because if anything are really colorful long fins or both, maybe it might think the other fish are another betta or something they don't like. And as for the reflection, try to make sure the tank isn't anywhere pitch black to where the only light it gets is the tank light or near anything reflection like something metallic. If you see it flaring, try waving a hand in front of him and that should snap him out of it a bit.

#12 ·
Also happy to help :) . When they see the food wiggle it your bettas will love that. Also I would love to see your female betta. I have pictures of lucky my boy and Tiffany my girl on my profile. It wasn't easy to get good pictures they are like energizer bunnies

#15 ·
Let them see each other if it doesn't stress them out. If they get stressed over seeing each other then take action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.