Betta Fish Forum banner

Just a quick question...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Flashygrrl 
#1 ·
I have, what seems to me, a very insignificant question...but one that intrigued me enough to warrant my signing up in order to ask someone about it. Aside from that, I have a second question.

I just bought a little betta fish about two/three weeks ago. I recently moved to a new area, and dogs are not allowed in my apartment building - I needed a friend to talk to, so I bought Krimit. He's such a handsome little red fish. After reading various questions and comments posted by others, I have learned a multitude of fascinating facts and other information about my new roommate.

I bought a little half-gallon tank for him -- this was before I read everyone's recommended tank size...but nonetheless, I will continue to use it unless his demeanor changes. For the time being, he is happy and excitable. He likes to play 'chase my finger' when I move it on the outside of the tank. When I approach his tank, he swims/dances around in little jerky movements, and likes to be talked to when I feed him. And he doesn't mind rebuilding his little bubble-nests when I switch some of his water out every three days. He also seems to enjoy playing hide-and-seek using his little silk plant. He's such a little friend.

Anyway, enough with the irrelevant stories...I just wanted to share with people who would appreciate such antics from a betta.

My question is this: When I go to bed at night and turn off all of the lights...do you think it would be nice if I bought him a little night-light? One fact I do not know about fish is whether or not they can see in the dark. I would hate for little Krimit to have to feel his way around his tank, swimming blind into the sides of the bowl all night. Does he need a night-light -- or am I just being over-protective? I notice that if I go out and turn on the light to get something, he is usually sleeping in his little plant...but is he just sleeping because he can't see to do anything else? Once the light is on and he hears me, he usually comes out and gets excited...but then I feel bad when I turn the light off again to return to bed. I feel like I'm teasing him or something. Either way, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Moving on - I have read about the importance of heaters in the tanks. I live in Wisconsin now, and it is a little cold outside...however, I do like a warm house and my apartment is kept quite warmer (about 70-72 degrees F) than most people's comfort zone. I'm wondering if I have to, or should I, buy a heater for his little tank? There doesn't seem to be anything sluggish or stressed about him - but perhaps he just puts up a good front. Some opinions would be welcome.

I apologize for my unusually verbose post, but I appreciate your time in reading my ramblings. Any tips or information will be tremendously appreciated.

Much thanks,

Keegan

See less See more
#2 ·
KWMB said:
My question is this: When I go to bed at night and turn off all of the lights...do you think it would be nice if I bought him a little night-light? One fact I do not know about fish is whether or not they can see in the dark. I would hate for little Krimit to have to feel his way around his tank, swimming blind into the sides of the bowl all night. Does he need a night-light -- or am I just being over-protective? I notice that if I go out and turn on the light to get something, he is usually sleeping in his little plant...but is he just sleeping because he can't see to do anything else? Once the light is on and he hears me, he usually comes out and gets excited...but then I feel bad when I turn the light off again to return to bed. I feel like I'm teasing him or something. Either way, any information would be greatly appreciated.
Fish need sleep. You don't need a night light at all.
Moving on - I have read about the importance of heaters in the tanks. I live in Wisconsin now, and it is a little cold outside...however, I do like a warm house and my apartment is kept quite warmer (about 70-72 degrees F) than most people's comfort zone. I'm wondering if I have to, or should I, buy a heater for his little tank? There doesn't seem to be anything sluggish or stressed about him - but perhaps he just puts up a good front. Some opinions would be welcome.
You need a heater if your room temperature is below 76 degrees Fahrenheit. Maintain temperature at 80-82 degrees.

You will need API liquid test kit as well. Be sure to perform every other day water change by 40-50% and test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates from time to time. If ammonia and nitrites are above 0.25, do a water change immediately. Nitrates should not exceed 40 ppm. The lower, he better.

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

#3 ·
Fish don't need a night light, but some lighting do come with lunar lights. So it's your choice if you want a night light or not.

Fish have this thing called a lateral line system. What it does can be compared to a bat in a cave. Water movement from and to the lateral line allow fish to detect objects around them. Check out info on a Blind Cave Tetra (a fish with no eyes) and they use solely their lateral line system to detect where they are going and what's around them.

As far as the heater. If you are absolutely sure there will be no power failure during the colder nights/periods, you won't need a heater right away, but I do suggest getting a little bigger tank and have a heater in the future. There are heaters out there where it's automatically set and no temp adjustments are required.

#4 ·
I suggest you don't get a night light. As well as we do, they also have a light cycle. And one more thing, If you turn on a tank light for him at night and your room lights are off, there is a chance that he will be able to see his reflection on your tank wall, causing him stress. The temperature that he will be most able to lead a fulfilling life is on the high 70s, if you think your fish will do better in your current situation, then it's up to you :)

#5 ·
Thank you much for the replies. I decided today that I AM going to buy a larger tank for him and give him a heater...just so I can be sure he's warm and cozy. I simply cannot resist getting him everything he needs when he's so elated to see me every morning.

Thanks again,

Keegan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.