Betta Fish Forum banner

Opinions/Suggestions for my first Betta tank please!

729 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cataze 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've never had a fish before, so I want to make sure I'm doing everything right!

I have a 20 gallon tank with a 100 Watt heater keeping it at 78F (I have a floating thermometer to confirm temp) and a Penguin Bio-Wheel 150 power HOB filter. I'm starting out with fake plants only, since this is my first fish tank, but plan on getting a couple of moss balls soon. Eventually I would like to have more real plants...but I'm taking baby steps!

I checked all the plants and the cave for any sharp edges that may snag my future Betta's pretty fins, and everything looks good (ran some pantyhose over everything and nothing snagged).

I will be doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia (10% ammonia...finally tracked some down! just have to go get it!). I have the API Master Test kit at the ready.

Am I missing anything? Is there anything I should be doing differently? Will there be enough cover/hiding spots for him?

I would appreciate any recommendations and constructive criticism!!!

Aquarium decor Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Apple pie

Thanks so much! I have learned so much from this forum so far!
Cate

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!
I think you're on the right track and might I add that your fish is going to be one lucky fish. 20gallons! Are you going to have tank mates for him or her?

#3 ·
Thanks! :-D

I am planning on working towards a community tank (have been thinking about trying to add 6 panda corys in the future) , but if it turns out that my Betta (probably will be a male) would rather be alone then I'm totally fine having a spoiled and happy Betta by himself in a 20 gallon tank!

#4 ·
10% ammonia? I think it's supposed to say 100% ammonia... I'll have to check what mine says. Whatever you do just make sure you shake it up real good.. if it makes lots of bubbles don't buy it because it'll have surfactants in it.

Besides that everything looks great. My one suggestion would be to cover the intake on the filter with a sponge. You can get the really fat sponges from Aquaclear in petsmart for pretty cheap and just cut one so it fits over the intake of the filter. This will protect the fish's fins from getting sucked in.

#6 ·
Hi 1fish2fish! Thanks for the advice on the filter intake. So I'm looking for a sponge with a hole in the middle, or I cut a hole in the middle to fit it over the intake? Sorry if that's a stupid question. Like I said, I'm totally new to this!

As for the ammonia, I found a brand that's exactly the same as the Ace ammonia everyone seems to be using, which is 10% ammonia hydroxide.

I live in Ottawa, Canada, and we don't have Ace Hardware here but I have found one called Old Country that is sold by Home Hardware here. It is the same thing...10% ammonia hydroxide, no perfumes or surfactants. I read on an Ottawa area aquarium forum that it works great for fishless cycling. That should be fine, shouldn't it?

Thanks again!
Cate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.