Betta Fish Forum banner

Cleaning gravel

648 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Toaster11 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have a siphon that i use for water changes. I try to stick it in the gravel to clean but the rocks just get sucked up. I can't seem to figure it out. Am I that dumb? Any tips for cleaning the gravel better?

#2 ·
I think the pressure of the suction is proportional to the amount of time you dig into the gravel: longer time, more gravel sucked by the siphon.

i saw the staff at Petco just dig in for about 3 secs, get the siphon off the gravel, gravel drops back to the bottom of the tank, and then he moves to the next spot.

#4 ·
It will suck it up but usually if you just lift the tube up out of the gravel, the gravel will fall back down. It sucks up more gravel with my smaller sized gravel. Just stick the tube in until its shifting the gravel & then lift it up so the gravel falls back down. It takes a little getting used to.

#5 ·
Maybe my siphon is too small? I checked out some videos online and they were all bigger. I have to pull the siphon out of the water and lose the suction to make the gravel fall out. I am sure I just need to practice more. Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.